VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an idiot ! ...... again :(

Look what I did a couple of months ago, brings a tear to my eye seeing that photo again, as I went back to my 18's on 45 profile for the winter.

I really had no option on the day, as I had to move all my stuff ( including all my workshop and tools ) in just one weekend. The journey began alright, the rubbing began about 2 miles down the road on my first trip to my new workshop. So I had to continue ......... very very slowly I may add. The rest of the weekend saw me transporting little loads, kind of defeated the object of having a 'Transporter' as I couldn't 'transport' anything ! I: >>

She sits OK. But when I got to my destination, the suspension compressed by at least 2 inches. Down to naff springs no doubt ! >>

I was chuffed to bits when I fitted them, bearing in mind, I had nothing in the back and I've still got a conversion to throw in there >>

But underneath it's a different story :( been looking to upgrade for a while now, as those fitted by the previous
owner look like cheapees from T4's R Us. The shocks are the yellow ones from T4's R Us also >>

Also, could somebody tell me why they stick out further on the nearside, it's probably as much as 2cms ...... are they all like that ? :*>>

It was the following thread that made me pluck up the courage to sort out my Borbet A fiasco >

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=340959 by u can in a van.

So if I buy the very much praised Vogtland springs, do I have to change my shocks as well ?

Thanks all,

TURK

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Have you checked the et numbers are the same on each rear wheel.... Or have you tried swapping them over on the back to see if the problem shifts with the wheel, Even if your tyres are directional you don't need to drive just to have a look, none of my vans have ever sat with one rear wheel poked out more than the other

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Kin hell Turk you have been having fun and games, those look like expensive new Conti' tyres! I did the same to a mini cooper years ago - with brand news tyres, I was well gutted! Your question about how far the wheel sticks out is very interesting; have you tried swapping the rear wheels over to see if one has a slightly different offset? My wheels are bog standard so I will check them tomorrow to see if there is a difference. Defo junk those springs. Mine is on standard Sach shocks and it is great. I will fit HD units one day but not until these ones are knackered.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kin hell Turk you have been having fun and games, those look like expensive new Conti' tyres! I did the same to a mini cooper years ago - with brand news tyres, I was well gutted! Your question about how far the wheel sticks out is very interesting; have you tried swapping the rear wheels over to see if one has a slightly different offset? My wheels are bog standard so I will check them tomorrow to see if there is a difference. Defo junk those springs. Mine is on standard Sach shocks and it is great. I will fit HD units one day but not until these ones are knackered.
So yours just being on standard Sach shocks, you only changed the springs ...... interesting !

The 'Conti' weren't that expensive, £128 a piece for the rears if I remember rightly.

Been very busy with my headlights recently as you all probably know, But I definitely need to sort this out.

Maybe I'll get in touch with Colese, see if he's ever encountered a wheel and tyre package poke out more on one side.

TURK

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ive seen this problem on mk4 golfs and boras. Infact my sons bora has this very problem although the car is as straight as a die.Never been pranged.We thought it was due to the fuel tank but obviously not on a t4. Its a strange one.:*
Wonder if its had a replacement rear wishbone and not a VW one.Only a guess though.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Swap the wheels over and see if the problem is the same.

It should be as the wheels should be the same.

Then check the ET MEASUREMENTS with a measure and not just reading the numbers. If they are correct and the same then it comes down to the arms and how they are mounted. Now this could also be effected by camber.

Have you had it on a 4 wheel alignment rig? Get it checked out as it could be just down to a suspension set up. Or incorrect set up.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also looks like the bump stops have been cut down?
Is that the plate at the top of the springs ?

I'll measure the thickness of the wheels with my calipers where the spigots go, see if they're different.
Looks like there's a fair bit of work to do.

Cheers mate T:

TURK

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hi,
Those pictures are taken from slightly different heights and angles (else you've got problems with the height of your brake lights I:) so not sure they are showing the true picture.

Try putting your square across the vertical centre line of the wheel, against the rubber and checking the distance between the square and the body panel lip at the top of the wheel arch.

How much difference do you measure there ?

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
my van has the same problem with one wheel sitting further out....

as we said in the past turk...

those 9j borbets can only be 1 x et.....which is 15 as they dont make them in any other fitment....

i guarentee if you fit swap the wheels over they will sit exactly the same...

to date when we have fitted wheels.....i have shown about 30 customers the same problem........which everyone is suprised about...

passats' also sit like this...

only probelm could be a full 4 x wheel alignment with rear adjustment as well....

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my van has the same problem with one wheel sitting further out....

as we said in the past turk...

those 9j borbets can only be 1 x et.....which is 15 as they dont make them in any other fitment....

i guarentee if you fit swap the wheels over they will sit exactly the same...

to date when we have fitted wheels.....i have shown about 30 customers the same problem........which everyone is suprised about...

passats' also sit like this...

only probelm could be a full 4 x wheel alignment with rear adjustment as well....

Hi mate,

Tried to ring you today ....... guess you were busy :)

I seem to remember we'd mentioned it before. Didn't think it was a problem with the wheels, more like a problem with the bus.
Four wheel alignment with adjustments, are we looking at a major expense with parts needing to be replaced ?

You putting up with yours like that OK, or do you find it distracting ?

Maybe I could design some fiberglass wheel arches and 'hide' the problem. Could be more cost effective.

Thanks Simon.

TURK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.