VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

Registered
ok, you know what it's like trying to find pics of something you did ages ago :rolleyes:

But. I'll try to help where I can..

this is for the T5 [pre face lift] .. you may have to find other similar creative ways for the T5.1 / T6

Whip OFF Front Bumper!

use of plastic trim tools for removing front covers etc is a MUST!

Registered
Cant find pics of the next step - but essentially you want to carefully cut the lower grill, sufficiently to allow the Light Bar to fit in there.

I then discarded the light bar fittings, and to mount it I used Stainless Steel bolts/nuts/washers [get the correct size/fitment for the light bar from any hardware store] to fit into small holes i drilled into the bumper either side:

Registered
can't find pics, but then I used a 2-part EPOXY to strengthen / bond the bolts and the mounting to the bumper. this also aided in:

1. prevent the bar from moving
2. prevent any type of corrosion to the fittings

The only issue being - if I wanted to remove the light bar, unlikely - I would have to angle grind or hacksaw the bolts..

Then I went about fabricating the new intake..

Registered
Done several long motorway journeys since.. Light bar - touch wood, hasn't budged at all

And the van hasn't experienced any heat soak issues with, .. potentially little less air flow to the rads..

Obviously the above was done on the fly.. just thinking as I went along - couldn't find anyone at that time who had done it..

So, not saying it's perfect - and there may be better ways to do the above..

but thus far, the light bar + CAI for the R32 have been great!

Registered
forgot to add - you can run the light bar power for the switch through the (factory sunroof drain grommet - don't use if you have a sunroof!!) located in the plenum chamber behind the battery..

Run the cable up through the bulkhead, remove glove box and appropriate panels etc and mount the switch up on dash..

I used my own switches though..

Registered
Does it vibrate or wobble around being only fixed to the plastic bumper ? This was my only fear and just assumed it would have to be bolted to the bumper steel to make sure it was solid .

Registered
This is just perfect and exactly what I was looking for myself. Thanks for the detailed pictures!
thanks, no worries

Does it vibrate or wobble around being only fixed to the plastic bumper ? This was my only fear and just assumed it would have to be bolted to the bumper steel to make sure it was solid .
I too was concerned about that, but it hasn't budged at all since install ... I can't find the pics at the mo, but I did strengthen it afterwards with quite a bit of epoxy and you could also use some steel straps etc..

It's bonded so to speak, to the bumper via the bolts.. so unless the bolts snap or the bumper breaks or comes off.. it shouldn't budge.. i hope!

-You could of course bolt it to impact bar behind the bumper - but I felt it would be quite tricky [more difficult] getting the bar / bumper alignment correct..

+ I wanted the bar to come off complete with the bumper anyway .. if needed..

Premium Member
brilliant, thanks for this, just to confirm the light bar is only mounted at the ends.

also you made som bigger holes in the plastic grille to let air flow through.

My plan was to mount it slightly behind so I could fit a mesh covering to disguise the fact the light bar is fitted.

Registered
brilliant, thanks for this, just to confirm the light bar is only mounted at the ends.

also you made som bigger holes in the plastic grille to let air flow through.

My plan was to mount it slightly behind so I could fit a mesh covering to disguise the fact the light bar is fitted.
no problem.. Yes, only mounted at the ends with nuts + bolts.. but as mentioned would recommend using some epoxy / stainless straps or similar to strengthen and prevent movement of the bar. The bumper itself is fairly strong, so should be ok..

Yes, I fabricated a custom intake for the airbox at the same time.. which involved making a hole in the bumper for improved air flow via custom ducting etc..

So, mesh is a good idea for the bar if you want it a little more discreet, was thinking of that originally too - but thought it turned out ok as it did..

Each to their own, give it a try.. and post your results!

61 - 80 of 83 Posts