VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've had my thoughts set on buying a T4 for over a year now but have put off looking into it. My main hobby is dh mountain biking which pretty much conflicts with owning a nice car.

So my plan was to get a van for next summer that I can chuck bikes in, sleep in, and maybe head south west and doing a bit of surfing if I find the time. Oh and chill with my girlfriend in at a couple of festivals. Might take it on a trip of Europe at some point to get some decent riding as well.

I’ve done a fair bit of research on these extensive forums but my main query is what a fair price for these vans is. I know their worth what someone is willing to pay its just I wondered if anyone could give me a guide. Or the other way round, I’ve got a budget of 4k including VAT, could stretch it a tad, depends how much I can get for my passat/cbr600. Would that get me a 2.5tdi panel van with around 100k on the clocks with some money left over for some mods?

I saw a nice ex AA van advertised by a trader on here but he wanted nearer 5k with 140k miles on the clock, as far as I can see the AA vans hold a premium though.

As I said the aim was to get one by next summer so gives me time to look around to find a decent one. I’ve searched auto trader, pistonheads, and here of course but the values come out pretty mixed so just wanted some advice!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
As a fellow MTB'er I had same thoughts with a van. Sick of battling fitting bikes into a car! I spent £4100 on a 98/99 T4 800special with 119,000miles on the clock. It came lowered, with 18" RS6 alloys, and a full bed platform in the rear.

I can give you some advise if you are going to buy a standard van and then convert it, as I believe I've got a very good set up at present to fit, bikes and people and luggage in the van. I recently went away to Morzine as I do every year. Took four bikes inside my van, and gear and had a full double bed space for two of us to sleep in.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi Had,

Got an ex AA myself and my main use is, apart from being a great family vehicle, for use with my mountain bikes. I like the fact you can get your bikes in the back behind the bench seat without taking the wheels out. They're secure, and after you've cleaned them at the trail centre don't get all mucky on the journey home. I've slept in the back by laying down the left side of the van next to all my kit. The price you've seen quoted for an ex AA sounds about right for that genre of van - you're right, they do attract a slightly price. They're generally a good starting point for a project though. Typically people tend to remove the lights, tool box, and bulk head and replace the passenger seat for a single captain's and replace the glove box. Good luck dude! :)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
There are bargains to be had bud but it depends if you are willing to travel. My Neightbour (who is looking for a van) sent me a link for THIS ONE ON EBAY which was a real bargain but it sold lightening quick! Keep looking but if you find something good dont wait as it will sell. They are the perfect vehicle generally one problem is its doubtful if you will ever own a normal car ever again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a fellow MTB'er I had same thoughts with a van. Sick of battling fitting bikes into a car! I spent £4100 on a 98/99 T4 800special with 119,000miles on the clock. It came lowered, with 18" RS6 alloys, and a full bed platform in the rear.

I can give you some advise if you are going to buy a standard van and then convert it, as I believe I've got a very good set up at present to fit, bikes and people and luggage in the van. I recently went away to Morzine as I do every year. Took four bikes inside my van, and gear and had a full double bed space for two of us to sleep in.
Yeh would be awesome for some pointers on van layout. I ideally wanted a swb so need to maximise space. Can really start thinking about what I can do until I have a van in front of me though.

Scottyboy said:
Hi I have this for sale at the moment based in hastings so can't be too far from you.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48212

Give me a shout come and have a look
I was ideally looking for a 2.5tdi, though I havnt quite justified that yet. Will have a look into the differences and maybe pop down and have a look. The main reason for the 2.5 was to be able to get up the alps without too much trouble.

Also if anyone near bromley fancies showing me round a T4 and give me some pointers for what to look for i'd be much obliged. Its hard to buy quick if you dont know what you're looking at....

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
i know of a white swb 2.5tdi available for around 2.5k w reg, if you call peter 07788546235, its a pretty tidy van, hes also working on a t5 window van at the moment but i dont know what his plans for that one are yet

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Well I've got a 1.9 and I don't think I've ever had any issues really. Some of the motorways on the way there you have to knock it down a couple of gears and just chill out behind the lorries for a bit! but that's part of the fun!

The way mines set up is two captains chairs up front, then a double set behind the driver. This was facing forwards when i bought the van and there was then a fold down bed the width of the van behind this double seat. The only issue with this was that you had to be under 4.5ft to sleep on that side of the van. So I had the branwave of spinning the seats round to face backwards, and then the seat becomes part of the bed.

There is a raised platform the width of the van and about 1ft high (the height of a seat basically as it's level). When I got to the Alps I slot 2 DH bikes behind the drivers seat and rear double seat, and then 2 XC bikes under the bed. When I sleep in it we put all the wheels up front in the cab, works a treat.

I can send you some pics of how its been done if you needs be. Its a swb aswell like you were after.

Matthew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts