VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Loose unknown wire - Van not turning over

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  leerowden 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Today, I got in my Van and the engine wouldn't turn over. When attempting to start the engine, the key clicks into the last position but doesn't fire up. I can't hear any clicking from the starter motor, it's as if the battery is flat but it has been charged up and is fully charged after testing it and all lights work correctly. The van also won't start with a jump either.

So this leads me to know it's not the battery.

On researching the engine bay, I found a loose wire which I hadn't noticed before.. It has a blue, green and red wire inside but the green and red wire had been bent back and taped up so clearly not in use, only the blue wire was making any contact with something.

I also noticed another wire further down in the engine bay which looks like it has been repaired previously with a spade connector.

I have no idea if these wires have been loose the whole time I've owned the van (surely they need to go to something!?) and I also have no clue as to what these wires are for or if they need to be connected?

I am hoping someone can give me some indication as to what these wires are for and if they will resolve my non-starting issue! Or if there are any other suggestions as to what is causing this?

I've included some photos below to show the wires.

Also my van is a 1998 T4 Caravelle LWB 2.5 TDI (ACV Engine)

Thank you so much!

Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Electrical supply Fuel line
Auto part Wire Fuel line Engine
Wire Auto part Tire Technology Automotive wheel system
Wire Auto part Engine Electrical wiring Fuel line

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you so much gtijames!
The spade connector was for the starter motor.. Must've accidental come off somehow..
I plugged it back in and the van fired straight up! I didn't even see the spade for the starter motor sat pretty much right next to it.. Thanks very much for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.