VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, bit of advice required, onto my 3rd T4 in a year, I wont bore you all with the details but after 1 cracked cylinder head, 1 snapped cambelt and a load of problems with my newest bus (a '99 1.9td with 250k on the clock) I am quickly running out of love and money.

So I am planning a 2 month windsurfing road trip in europe this summer but obviously need a van capable of a few miles. So after owning my van for a few weeks the cambelt jumped due to a wobbly crank pulley, so new crank pulley and no squeaky engine all was good. Then after a new battery (unrelated but another cost!) it started to smoke like hell, trouble starting etc, so apparently 1 injector was over fueling and the others were under fueling so all new injectors, leaky fuel pump so had that reconditioned at a local engineers.

The van then ran like new for about 100 miles then it starting running like an old dog again... Took it back to the garage and as you can imagine I was pretty angry!!! Apparently the timing had 'slipped' the chap at the garage said he'd put a new belt on as it might have stretched... Picked it up again pretty ed off having been without my van for quite a while, then didn't even make it home before PING I thought the belt had snapped but it had just jumped a long way, the engine wouldn't even turn over.

So after a very y phone call with the garage it turned out they'd reused the old belt again!!! Even after agreeing they would change the belt as that was the probably cause of the timing keeping slipping. So after taking the head off it turns out it had bent a few valves and the garage have said they are rebuilding the head due to the damage caused, so new valves, new valve seats and obviously checking to make sure the heads in decent condition and the gaskets are all fine.

So my question is, do I hope that after all this work (new timing belt kit, new injectors, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt head, new crank pulley etc) the van is going to have a good heart and get me a good few more miles before putting abit more money into the conversion, or do I sell the van now and get something non vw with a good load less miles but less coolness??

I haven't had the van long enough to grow too fond of it, but I do like my T4's! I don't know if to get rid before anything else happens or do you think that after all this she should run strong for plenty more miles? Before the belt slips the van does run really really well and starts on the key.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Mate, that's not the van that caused continued issues, it's the garage you've taken it to. Any vehicle is going to have things slowly go wrong. Once the van is addressed and back on the road fine, you'll feel better again. I hope you're not paying a single penny for the obvious fraud that the garage is performing on using old parts that they've charged you to replace???????

Make sure you don't pay a thing and once you've it checked over, ask for the old parts that have been replaced. I'd also consider going to the Trading standards about the poor calibre of work that is bordering on the line of fraud as well as seriously dangerous. What would have potentially happened if that had gone pop on the motorway at 70mph?!!!! They are liable for a serious slap on the wrist. Make sure you have all receipts showing the new parts "were" put on the vehicle before you discovered the underhandedness that's come to light.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the advice Gaz. For sure not paying a penny, just spoke to the garage and apparently the heads coming back this afternoon after being reconditioned. So hopefully the van will be good for another while.

Do we think after all this work the van 'should' be solid for a while?? My current thinking is its better keeping this van after having the work done instead of getting something else which could potentially have something similar happen.

Will make sure that I get receipts for everything and will ask to see the old parts to check the works actually been done. Then when its back I think ill let the RAC know just how terrible there recommended garage is and see if I can be compensated for the 5 weekends of work I have missed due to their negligence. T:

Just spent the last evening thinking of how to convert the inside ready for the summer!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cheers for the advice Gaz. For sure not paying a penny, just spoke to the garage and apparently the heads coming back this afternoon after being reconditioned. So hopefully the van will be good for another while.

Do we think after all this work the van 'should' be solid for a while?? My current thinking is its better keeping this van after having the work done instead of getting something else which could potentially have something similar happen.

Will make sure that I get receipts for everything and will ask to see the old parts to check the works actually been done. Then when its back I think ill let the RAC know just how terrible there recommended garage is and see if I can be compensated for the 5 weekends of work I have missed due to their negligence. T:

Just spent the last evening thinking of how to convert the inside ready for the summer!
Yea, defo keep the van dude looks good. and once all the work is done should be good to go.

Do anything that gets your confidance in the van back, its horrible when you lose it isn't it. As said its not your van at fault.

And do anything you can to get compensated for all your trouble too.

Somebody said "to find love you have to set it free"....and you sort of have. She'll come back ok dude...Its a T4 T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
All I can tell you is, despite being recently ripped off ourselves, the good times and the people here, and generally associated with these vans are well worth the effort to keep one of these vans.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
400 miles later and a very grumpy garage I have spent a week on the van and back in the game :ILU:

I didn't pay a penny for the work, but I am left with a water leak near the fuel pump and a squeaky alternator belt.... Not wanting to take it back to that garage (but it wasn't there before the work was done...) any ideas of anything on the above work that could cause this??

In other news check the progress in my build thread - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=414878&page=2 T:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Everyone looses the love now and again, but when you're sat in the van having a brew at a stormy beach somewhere, you'll be back in love.

Regarding your engine problems - sounds like your garage have cocked up a bunch of stuff, if the work has been done right then it should be good for a few miles yet...I'll cross my fingers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts