VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect that this may have been answered but I can not find it. My N plate T4 camper is a touch down at the front left,. 1cm lower than the right. It has always, in the 2.5 years I have had it, been a touch floaty in bends as well. Rear springs and dampers were replaced about 18 month/4000 miles ago. The lean has only been noticed this year but as parking is uneven it could have been a while.
What would be the usual suspects in this respect?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,713 Posts
Like Walter said.....torsion bars at the front.
You either need a very deep socket (27mm I think....I welded a 3" tube in the middle of a std one to make it long enough!) or spend an hour with a spanner to adjust.
IFIRC, 10mm on the threads makes 25mm height adjustment.....but you have to adjust a little, go for a drive, and check again.....suspension needs to "settle" after each adjustment.
Jacking the side you want to adjust makes the job easier, as does soaking the threads for a couple of days in PlusGas (NOT WD40!!!).

OH, and do NOT be surprised if one side is 20mm different in thread length than the other....that's why there are TWO adjusters.
Note that weight difference side-to-side in the rear DOES affect the front, quite a lot.
IF you raise or lower, you need to get the 4 wheel tracking set (or you'll scrub tyres).
Also, if you do/have changed height with the new rear springs (or by adjusting overall front height), the balancing valve for the brakes needs setting up on a rolling road.

BTW, quoting "N plate" does not help anyone not in UK....year is better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So these torsion thingies move then? Ah. I assumed that once set they stayed there.
Rear springs were just replacements to OE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how do they work? Flexing metal or is there a rubber bush or something similar? Something must be bending.
Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,713 Posts
Metal bar that "twists".
From underneath you will see the 2 long "bolts" hanging down, with "arms" attached to them.
If you have rear heater, the one at that side is the more difficult to get to.
They are "factory set" to a std van.....but of course, if you add any weight, they will need adjusting.
Plenty of info on the forum, just search Torsion bar adjustment or similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers. I was wondering what could change to create that drop. It wasn't the rear shocks as there was no drop after they were fitted. This has happened in the last few months hence me wondering, before knowing about the torsion bar system, if a spring of something could have died. I would assume that a knackered torsion bar would mean something more noticeable than a 1cm sag on one side.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,713 Posts
You'd be running on the bump stops if a bar had gone!
Most vans have a little lean, but until you notice it, you don't "notice" it.....
Once you DO notice it, it "seems" worse everytime you look!

Strange, but even something as minor as adding a leisure battery in the rear can affect the stance at the front?!!?!

·
Registered
120 Posts
One the best points of the T4 is the torsion bar suspension .It is tough and unbreakable (well I think unbreakable !)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts