VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just sitting in services waiting for someone and a petrol tanker pulls up to the right hand side of a car . stays there for about 15 mins then pulls off at full left hand lock hitting the car to the side of him . you know the bloke didnt even try to stop , dragging the car about 20ft bursting tyres, smashing the side in ect........ then the 2 kids that are in the car jump out arms waving and shouting . i bet they pooped themselves !!! anyway lorry eventually stops and driver gets out . i am watching all this and things are getting heated , an arguement seems to be starting so i stick my nose in ! i said alright mate you want a whitness i saw the whole thing lol . at this point the lorry driver throws his arms up and walks away ! he was obviously denying hitting them . not any more after me sticking my nose in :D . gave them my number . annoys me that poeple cant just take responsability !!
kieran

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Being an ex truckie myself, the car was probably in his blind spot, but this is no excuse at all, from all my years driving i've learnt, check your mirrors, check em again, check em a 3rd time and if not sure get out and have a look to be sure, its self preservation, all professional drivers should adopt this attitude but I know there are lots that don't pay attention enough to whats going on behind or to the side of them !!

And no he should'nt of denied it, if its your fault, take it on the chin, be a man, nobody is perfect(even though some think they are)I:

·
Banned
300 Posts
not mistaken but aint cars supposed to use the car park and trucks use the lorry park

if the car was in the lorry park then there not going to be looking out for cars as said before chance is blind spot but in all fairness if the tanker pulled up at the side of the car he should of known it was there

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yes its true if he was parked in the lorry park then the car should'nt of been there, but you can't just assume there is'nt something there. I don't think the insurance will take that as a reason for it not being his fault, for that matter how do you stand if you have an accident on the services as its not a public highway? Hmmmm:*

Think the truck driver must of been distracted by Shiro's nice looking van!!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think if it's a public area (motorway services, supermarket car park, pub car park) it's pretty much the same cover and rulings as if it were the public highway, fortunately.

Accepting the car maybe shouldn't have been there, and that perhaps was why he didn't check his mirrors properly having made an assumption- but what if it was another driver walking back to his cab? OK, a pedestrian may have been able to jump out of the way- but equally he might not.

I got hit by a truck on the M3, Czech trucker realised he was in the wrong lane (ie in a peel off lane rather than the main carriageway) and just heaved the wheel over to the right without checking the mirrors properly/long enough. I was in the blind spot, so- cab step hit my car twice as he came over, and virtually spun me round. How I didn't get collected by anything in the lane to the right of me is a miracle...

I *eventually* got him to pull over onto the hard shoulder- he did the comedy no speakee english thing initially, then tried to claim it had never happened, and then blamed me. Things were just getting heated when I noticed a fella walking towards us on the hard shoulder, a witness who had seen everything and stopped to give his details. Even better- he was a London Met officer, off duty and on his way home. It was amazing that the production of a Police warrant card ID improved the truckers command of the English language no end, and helped him remember that it was his fault, too. Right result.

I'd probably not have had any chance of a succesful insurance claim if that fella hadn't stopped, so max kudos to Kieran for 'sticking his nose in' on this one. Nothing worse than when someone blatantly does something wrong, and then tries to weasel out of responsibility. Shocking, especially as there were kids in the car....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Being an ex truckie myself, the car was probably in his blind spot, but this is no excuse at all, from all my years driving i've learnt, check your mirrors, check em again, check em a 3rd time and if not sure get out and have a look to be sure, its self preservation, all professional drivers should adopt this attitude but I know there are lots that don't pay attention enough to whats going on behind or to the side of them !!

And no he should'nt of denied it, if its your fault, take it on the chin, be a man, nobody is perfect(even though some think they are)I:
Quite right mate.

Can't take anything for granted when driving whether in a car park or on the road.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
My misses witnessed something like this, but it was a bus at fault. The driver didn't stop, the bus company denied everything until they were told a witness had reported it to the police! Really naffs me off that some people are happy to off quickly:(

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Kieran, fair play to you dude. Not sure I'd have kept my cool as kids were involved. Sends me a bit dolally you see I:

Nice one fella T:

·
Registered
585 Posts
How can he deny he hit the car?, sounds like he totalled it, not good with kids being in car :(

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
You're already doolally keithRasp:

It really gets on my nerves when people blatanly try and back away from the blame

I got stitched up by a woman who indicated right and pulled into the Kerb, then as I tried to pass her she pulled out into the side of my works van. She claimed I'd tried to overtake her at speed:eek: ended up 50/50 blame

She also tried to make out I was a heartless bugger because I didn't get emotional or angry and shout at her,:eek:

I'm not exactly gonna kick off at a woman with young kids in the car:*

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
It may be private land, but it has public access so insurance will pay.

May even have CCTV on site, may help the driver remember what happened.

My mate reversed his tanker straight over a car parked behind him a few years back, ooops! The car pulled in straight behind him as he was manoeuvring to make a delivery, the car driver parked and got out apparently as my mate was reversing back, he had no way of seeing it, but was blamed 100% for the accident. That's why we have insurance.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
not mistaken but aint cars supposed to use the car park and trucks use the lorry park

if the car was in the lorry park then there not going to be looking out for cars as said before chance is blind spot but in all fairness if the tanker pulled up at the side of the car he should of known it was there
it was in the car park section , not the lorry side . and there was actually about another 5 lorries aswell parked randomly on the car section .

·
Registered
958 Posts
Covered this recently on a course. If the public have access to the area - services, supermarket car park, etc the Road Traffic Act covers all activity by motor vehicles. In this case a call to the police may of been order as children were in the car and the LGV driver was not owning up. The cars insurers can ask for any CCTV to be released to them

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
to the same end car drivers are just as bad, worse in my opinion.

driving around everyday get to see some stupid things, i would say 99.9% of truckers are v good at wot they do, same cannot be said about car drivers, pure ignorance when it comes to things, I drive down lanes, need to and have to, meet a car and they expect you to reverse, not got a problem with this as its easy, however when they rush upto you passing a passing place then expect me to reverse then that peeves me right off, a 15 minute tacho break happens and i explain to the driver i have the law on my side as i can legally block the road for 20 minutes, i know might be stupid of me but gives them something to think about!! GRRRRRRR!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
just over a year ago my aunt was dragged off the pavement and killed by a lorry who mounted the kerb to get out a junction. it transpires that he never checked his blind spot or used his mirrors. reconstruction of accident clearly proved he was to blame and he was charged with death by careless driving to which he pleads not guilty. the prosecution case is next month.

my job involves offloading gas tankers and i've spoken to numerous drivers about the above accident and they all agreed its driver error and equally admit to their faults/bad habits whilst driving. my point is no one is perfect and we all make mistakes but some can be avoided by being that little bit more careful and not rush. lets face it thats what the problem is. folk rushing around trying to meet unrealistic deadlines. and that seems to be the case in this incident.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
to the same end car drivers are just as bad, worse in my opinion.

driving around everyday get to see some stupid things, i would say 99.9% of truckers are v good at wot they do, same cannot be said about car drivers, pure ignorance when it comes to things, I drive down lanes, need to and have to, meet a car and they expect you to reverse, not got a problem with this as its easy, however when they rush upto you passing a passing place then expect me to reverse then that peeves me right off, a 15 minute tacho break happens and i explain to the driver i have the law on my side as i can legally block the road for 20 minutes, i know might be stupid of me but gives them something to think about!! GRRRRRRR!!!
Tonic, I used to drive a 7.5t years ago and remember an incident I'll be brief and you can get the picture yourselfT:

Going down country lane, BMW convertible coming the other way, air brake on, paper out, muck spreader in field next to us, 2mins later, me laughing :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts