VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Losing coolant - appears to be high pressure issue

11K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  pezza 
#1 ·
My T5 has suddenly started to use allot of coolant. It can drain the expansion tank doing a 70 mile run.

If checked the expansion tank and replaced it.

There is a very slight amount of mayonnaise on the top of the oil filler, but it really isn't much and the goop that is there is grey rather than white.

I have noticed that the base of the coolant expansion tank can be wet as if there has been a leak but I cannot find a source of this, could it be some kind of breather that is blocked causing high pressure and pushing the coolant over the over flow.

There is no excessive smoke of blue/black or white and the temperature is absolutely rock solid at around 90 also there is no obvious contamination from oil to water or water to oil!

The engine is a 2.5TDi AXD

Any assistance, guidance, questioning would be very helpful

Cheers Very confused

See less See more
#2 ·
Had this problem on my 06 1.9.
Replaced, water pump, thermostat and header tank.
Turned out to be head gasket. :(
Exhaust gas was entering the cooling system and the header tank was venting when the pressure got to much, hence the drips.

#8 ·
Not a good idea - I drove with a head gasket which I knew was letting water into one of the cylinders for a few weeks, despite looking OK when I replaced the gasket, the engine destroyed itself and seized up a few months later - probably corroded the piston rings from letting them sit in water.

#9 ·
That's not good. Currently at garage having pressure and sniff test done. Already done them both once but proved inconclusive. Mech just taken can off for drive then re-test see what that brings up.

As I'm not getting any temperature issues I'm presuming it's not the water pump?! But I know from reading forum posts that the pumps can be..... Problematic.

Anyone's comments very much welcomed

#14 ·
It will be the water pump! Dealers time aprox 1.9 hrs to do the job & they will change the oil and filter also. They use a puller to remove the water pump. On the odd occasion the engine has had to come out if they can't get the puller on the water pump but most times they are ok.

#15 ·
thank you everybody for your assistance on this.

I'm going to try and find a local garage who will be up for changing the pump for me pre Christmas.

Anyone got any good recommendations for near Uxbridge, Middlesex?

I know one member mentioned Cord Wallis in Maidenhead who I have used for parts and are good so I'll call them in the morning, but I know another member had a friend I believe who also had a garage not far from me.

Will keep you posted.

#19 ·
Final update: After a stiff bill with intermediate service and water pump change Trev is running well and not needing 1 litre every 10 miles!

Couple of things to mention

The guys at VW seem to think that the chance of a 2.5 TDi lump is very, VERY unlikely to fail and the only one they've seen was due to owner error.

My van temp did not rise at all which would have been my first indicator for water pump.

See below:

Lastly, thanks everyone for your comments and advice, I fear this could be a long lasting relationship
A:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.