VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have 2005 lwb 2,5 just recently purchased. However i have started losing coolant at an alarming rate. Topped it up on sunday, i have driven about 50km and now its all gone. I can't see any leaks, no split hoses, and there is nothing left on the ground at all. I don't know where it is going??? There doesn't seem to be any milky substance in the oil, at least not on the oil cap any way.

I have read everything i can find about coolant loss here on the forum. i can't seem to come up with an answer though. Is it my water pump? where else could it be going? If it makes any difference i think the previous owner has put the incorrect coolant in. There is the green stuff at the moment. I dont know why this is in there? would this be the reason? would the engine go through this stuff quicker because its not the long life stuff. I have bought the right kind of coolant, but don't know how to do a radiator flush.

please help.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
If the coolant level is going down then its being lost somewhere. If you cant find a leak then I would suggest getting a sniff test done at a garage to see if theres any trace of combustion products in the coolant. If there are chances are its head gasket gone.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As an alternative avenue, does the heater matrix go inside the cab ?
If so, is it possible that the coolant is disappearing under the carpet, inside the cab ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your answers so far.

well at the garage we did the head gasket test thingy with the blue liquid and there was no change in colour of the liquid in the tube. Tried a pressure test but coldn't get any reading. My mechanic is sure there must be a small leak somewhere but can't seem to find it on a cursory inspection. booked in for a proper service next week.
Mechanic said if the head gasket was blown or cylinder head was cracked then the coolant could be entering the engine and then disappearing by being burnt and escaping out the exhaust. But after doing the test it seemed to confirm this is not the case.

looked at the heater option inthe cab, so pulled up the rubber matting and its all dry under there, so that doesn't seem the be area where its going.
What role does the water pump play in the possible loss of coolant?

cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mechanic looked at the engine today? have discovered the leak in the coolant, it is going in this area just behind the engine and then pooling before running out and settling into the heat cover thing under the van. He isn't sure if the water pump is malfunctioning, if it is, should it be recirculating the coolant back into the reservoir from this spot at the back of the engine.

thanks again

ed

·
Registered
56 Posts
my T4 losses a headder tank full over noght via the eletric 2nd water pump tiny drip that bearly notice keeping eye out for a replacement as we speak.

I'd check the oil cooler and pipes going to that behind the oil filter then after that heater matrix inside the cab. other than that presure test cooling system there must be a leak somewhere.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i had same problem......,and i changed water pump.did take me 4 hours and problem gone.I saved nearlly 350 pounds,happy now.Check engine oil.should be clear,if isn't mean water pump gone....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts