VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed a lot a leakage and sticky mess under the coolant header tank. at first i thought it was coming from the tank overflow at the level was about n inch high. so i dropped the coolant level and cleaned everything up. then the leak is back after running for a few days. today after a good 4 hrs trip on mway yesterday the power steering is very noisy. checked the power steering tank which was empty bar a few black dregs pumping around. there is a pipe coming out of power steering tank and into a small looking radiator thing ontop of the main coolant radiator, this runs full length of bumper to the side under the coolant header tank. where it exits the radiator thing via a small black pipe which is the area of the mess / leakage.

any ideas as i can't see any split pipes etc in this area, also its not good that the power steering fluid it back after I've topped it up with new stuff????????

any advise welcomed please chaps? plus prices of parts if known

thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Take the header tank off and have a good look athe steering pipe and cooler. Might just be the clip leaking if not might be the cooler. I just had to replace mine. As was leaking the other end. Cooler is £130. From tps. Good look mate. Easy to get to to have a look. Just 2 torx screws to remove header tank. T:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate. Did your oil go all black aswell though? That's what's worrying me that there's something else?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok anyone know why the oils black n dirty aswell?
ive seen this before on a few occasions yhe power steering pump is direct drive from the engine ,the internal seals fail in the pump and allow engine oil into the system ,new pump and a good flush through to sort it T:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sound like it with the engine oil getting into system. I'm going to pop it into garage this wk. any idea what sort of quotes I'm looking at for complete job new pump, fitting, flush etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts