VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and good evening to all. This is my first thread. Have read lots that have fixed and assisted in my faults in the past, thank you all.

However, all I not perfect on my T5 front!!

I have a T5 1.9 54 plate. The 5th gear has lost its use. The van drives in ALL gears, up to and including 4th. When put in 5th, it drives as though in 4th. I still have acceleration (as though I have not changed gear) and power, but not as 5th should be.
I have only just noticed this. Could of happened any time up to 2 months ago. There have been no bangs, crunches or anything that would point to a lose cog, broken cog or anything.

I have spoken to a few mechanics and they say, "vans fubard and need a new gear box.....give me a bell for fitting" convenient!! others say it is the selector rods/cable in the handle/changer stick couple of quid.

Has anyone else had these symptoms or know of them?

Any help gratefully appreciated. Any more info required, just ask.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
It'll be the drive gear spinning on splines , you'll need to remove the metal cover on the end of the box, might be lucky and just change the gear... Last one I did some muppet had welded the gear to the shaft which was obviously a much bigger job

Good luck

Regards

Dan

·
Registered
772 Posts
My first works t5 did this they rebuilt the box as the gears shears and lies in the bottom It can get brought up and jam other gears I was told so beware bloody gearboxes seem a week spot on the 1.9

1 - 4 of 4 Posts