VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned on Whooshwhoosh's v helpful servo removal thread, I've had problem having swapped mine out... Original servo worked, but the hissing was an MOT fail, so had to be swapped. Did so, with a scrap yard one, but then found that the brake pedal went all the way down with no effect. Left engine running to build up vacuum, no difference. Confirmed plenty of vacuum on hose. When I turn the engine off, there's a noise from the servo, sounds like the pressure equalising. so after that, thought it might be the scrap yard part, so swapped back to orig one, thinking at least I'll have brakes...... But now have the same with that one! Have checked the hoses, have checked all the connections, can't see anything missing. Fluid level hasn't changed and anyway, the brake lines weren't disconnected/opened. Any ideas, anyone?

Have been all around the engine bay looking for pipes I might have knocked loose, nothing apparent :*

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody got any thoughts/ideas? need to get the van back on the road!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the reply, racman T: Well I took the old servo out and put he replacement in - all the same 6 nuts bolted back where they were, & reconnected the pedal.

Is there a coupling inside to make between the master and the servo, or does one just press against the other?

I now have a brand new servo to fit - I suspect a new brake master cylinder isn't cheap either, hope it's not that.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You either havnt connected the servo to the master cyl properly or your master cyl is fooked T:
Your first suspicion was correct - servo not engaging with master cylinder properly. in my naivety, I didn't appreciate how much play there was on the rod inside the servo, and it was skipping out of th end of the cylinder as I was trying to angle it back in. Craig Paris very kindly helped me get it sorted - cheers fella T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts