VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an odd problem, 2005 T5 Caravelle exec. 2.5l,
Upon fully turning the key in the ignition, all electrics die. Completely. However, touching the negative terminal restores everything. It was intermittent, but tonight it happens every time I try to start her up. Stood outside the vehicle with bonnet open, on last attempt, could hear arcing? Is this a negative earth issue? How would I locate it? The battery is absolutely fine, fully charged.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
When you say "touching the negative terminal restores everything", which/what exactly are you touching ?
Do you mean the negative battery terminal, wiggling that terminal/cable ?

Do you turn the ignition key to the ON position & the dash lights up as normal & then when you turn the key to the start position everything goes off ?
Power was only restored when you wiggled the cable on the negative battery terminal ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put my finger on the terminal. Yes, dashlights and everything come on, then on start position everything dies. touching the terminal brings lights etc back on. Clock does not lose time.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If both of the battery terminals are tight it is not unknown for corrosion to attack the cable joint even though it may look OK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your replies, There is "powder" coming off the killswitch ( I didn't install that ) so I'll check that out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Just an update. There was corrosion in the "Killswitch", which is essentially a bolt that threads through two plates separated by plastics, thread on bolt was blue, squirted it, wire wooled it, job done. Thank you very much for the guidance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts