VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have checked on the search so please dont berate me lol ive looked but nothing has an answer so I'm after a bit of guidance if possible. I'll start from the top.
Had new head gasket last year and loads of stuff done to top end as had pressure building up in expansion tank. That sorted now but sounds tappity now but that's for another day.
It seems ok round the streets but i had power loss on mway so took it in and they said "computer says 2 turbo solenoids knackered" Changed them but still the same. It just dies like limp mode but no lights so pull off mway turn van off then 5 mins later back on and is ok but get back on motorway at constant speed then itll just die as if the turbo pipe has come off but it obvs hasn't.
My mate recons turbos so said it was probably sticky vanes so took it all apart and he reconditioned it but said it actually looked ok. I've pressure tested the pipe work to the inter cooler and that's fine. Had new intercooler 2 years ago when the turbo failed anyway.
It's been mapped with the egr blanked since 2005 when I bought it. I am going to change all the small vacuum pipes just incase they're buggered and I'm also installing a turbo gauge with oil pressure and temp so I can see if anything fluctuates.
Does anyone have any idea what else I can look at while it's in bits? Sorry for the massive post but the more info the better I guess. I've had it from new so ive looked after it it's got 120 on the clock which is low really but it's used for work so stop starting alot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also got an old maf to try but haven't put it on yet till it's back on the road as I dont wanna change too much then have to guess what's bolloxed. I'm using another van atm so it's not desperate but I want it back on the road I cant keep working out my little astravan it's too small. The t5 has been great I've never had a vehicle so long but it is lovely to drive and until now never let me down it was usually the known faults that were easily solved but this has me and others scratching our heads now. I dont want to get rid and get a newer one as everyone I know who upgraded to the newer ones are not impressed so have really put me off changing it. Plus mines in a mad limette colour so really stands out for a work vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My T5 1.9 turbo 2006 recently had a new turbo and intercooler(3000 miles ago) just noticed oil dropped over the starter motor and solenoid, lookes to be coming from large dia hose connection half way down engine directly above starter motor! there shouldn’t be oil in that hose as it feeds cooled air into the inlet manifold from the intercooler( I think) does it sound like an oil seal gone again in turbo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prob not mate mine always had that too but never leaked but always oil in there. Does it smoke? Drives ok? If it drives fine then you possibly got a shitty egr valve. Block it off and map it out thats what I did. More power less fuel used and generally better all round. It was under warranty at the time and the vw technition recommended a map and vw do one but I went elsewhere as vw were too expensive and it wont affect the warranty. Then it didnt affect it anyway but that was 2006.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so turbo refitted all new gaskets so no leaks. New turbo gauge fitted too but took it out for a drive and exactly the same as before. Its had new n75 solenoids too and no change. No faults stored either so im at a loss. It drives then feels like it's being held back like a pipe off but then itll pick up then srop off again.
Im going to get a new maf as my old one was for my old corrado not the van. When I disconnect the maf there is no change in revs. I'd expect it to drop a bit but it's exactly the same with it plugged in or off. Nightmare this is. Anyone have any ideas of what else I can try?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do you think it is going into limp mode or not? If restarting resets it, then it most likely is. If it is, it should throw a code. What have you been scanning with? You could really do with measuring the vacuum to the turbo and logging the actual vs specified boost to try and work out if you are getting over or under boost. If both solenoids logged error codes and changing them didn't make a difference, the issue could be upstream i.e the vacuum pump or line from the pump. However, it could be lots of things and using a vacuum gauge and VCDS will probably save you a lot of time and money. If you have another MAF sensor, you might as well change that and inspect the wiring/ connector. Likewise, it would be worth a look at the MAP sensor and associated wiring/connector as this is relatively cheap and may cure the problem.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Worth making sure the intake and exhaust aren't restricted. Make sure nothing been sucked into the air filter pipe. And I would even run it with the exhaust disconnected but wired up properly so it is safe and can't cause trouble. Make sure the changeover flap isn't gunged up and half closed. Fuel filter new? As Benny says VCDS will show you what is happening (airflow, boost, voltages,etc) at the exact moment it starts to misbehave. It can also physically actuate some things at idle so you can hear/see if they are working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts