VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look a nice 2003 T4 2.5 tdi today. Just before I got there the guy brought it to the carwash. Unfortunately the power washer operator lifted the bonnet and sprayed the inside of comparment, all over the sensors, battery, ecu etc. Anyway, I arrived to your man selling the van looking inside the bonnet. He said it wasn't accelerating right etc.. I took it for a quick spin. It was idleing erratically and was down on power. It seemed to by topping out at 65 mph! Anyone know what would cause this? Gonna go back and monday and have another drive of it. Is it anything to worry about? Really nice clean van. Its a blue i with 118000 miles.

Cheers

IS

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Sounds like water in the main wiring loom across the op of the engine. The wires chaff through their insulation over time and the water will short circuit any exposed wires. Same thing happened to mine a couple of months after it was jet washed and the wires were still wet.

Cost me some time to dry it all out and re-insulate the wires.

Imo, water and modern engines, not a good idea.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers charlie. I'll ring him tomorrow. Nothing to major. Just an awkward job. Can you remove the loom to dry it and insulate? How did you go about sorting it? Was it all fine afterwards?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just along the front of the engine near the starter motor there is a block of 3 connectors.At about the same height as the top of the sump/bottom of block. Try pulling these apart and drying out. maybe a squirt of wd40 for good measure too
Tried pulling them out but they wouldn't budge. Just have to wait and see. Weathers very nice here at the moment. He said he'd leave the bonnet open. Hopefully should be all dried out tomorrow evening or monday.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
The loom stays wet for ages even if you leave the bonnet open .would recommend you open up the loom to dry it properly. I had to replace 1 wire ,a black and white one which powers the pump solenoid. Apologies for bad punctuation am on my mobile.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, charlie good to know. Going to see the van again tonight. The guy says its back to normal, as in pre- engine comparment power wash, but it's still down on power. Seems to fit the description of limp mode described here. He said he'd knock 150 of the price we originally agreed because of this. Hopefully should be enough to cover fixing the problem. Probably the air flow sensor but i'm hoping its just a dodgy wire.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
sounds to me like the guy is blagging an existing fault and trying to blame it on a "jet wash"
I'd be very wary of this too. How's about getting him to take it to a dealer to sort, maybe getting it serviced there, perhaps splitting the cost ? Or at least he keeps the £150 if it runs fine :*

I'd walk away until it runs right, I think.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple of thousand...:eek:

My heart just sank there. Bought it last night. What could be wrong that it costs that much. Everything I read on here says its a sensor or a wire. Its seems pretty minor. Starts instantly, no smoke, plenty on low end power. Power just drops of shaply at 2500rpm / 60mph.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How ya,
Sorry just saw your posts there !
I looked at this van,i think, about a week ago ( for a friend ) in turloughmore ,(White), seller didn't say anything about power wash .
Nice clean van for the money alright , but the stutter at idle frightened me off.
I wouldn't say it's that's serious, because it runs perfectly smooth at anything over idle revs. My guess is the timing is out . This would make it down on power, as well.
Hope the vag com gives you good news.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Oh well its yours to fix now, i honestly dont think it will cost you anywhere near that to fix but without knowing exactly what caused the problem it may take some time to trace. I would check that wiring loom first as its all but a free repair that you can do yourself.

Do you have any history with it? Have the injectors been replaced recently?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just passed the DOE (MOT) so i'm presuming the injectors are fine otherwise it should fail on emmisions. Anyway gonna stick it on comms today see what happens. I'll gonna go out and have a look at the loom and stuff now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How ya,
Sorry just saw your posts there !
I looked at this van,i think, about a week ago ( for a friend ) in turloughmore ,(White), seller didn't say anything about power wash .
Nice clean van for the money alright , but the stutter at idle frightened me off.
I wouldn't say it's that's serious, because it runs perfectly smooth at anything over idle revs. My guess is the timing is out . This would make it down on power, as well.
Hope the vag com gives you good news.
Thats the one. Seems a genuine bloke. Hopefully its nothing major. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you found the cause yet is it water in the loom or has computer brought anything up?
Been busy with college all week and broke. Gonna try find the cause tomorrow. I'll have a bit of a scan about the engine. If there's nothing obvious of to the a garage for coms. I was supposed to meet a lad of the forum yesterday morning who has his own vagcom set but he musn't of had time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Won't be able to get diagnostics done until friday :(. Had a look about the engine today.

Air box below the filter was only short of a dead bird. Gave it a hoover. Filter wasn't changed in about three years I'd say. Gonna put a new filter in tomorrow.

THe MAF sensor looked to have been changed :confused:. Only normal screws in it. It was a Bosch too. The engine seems to run better with it unplugged. Better acceleration and a smoother, nicer sounding idle.

Wiring loom looks OK.

Put STP fuel system and injector cleaner in on saturday. Seems to being making some slow improvements in performance but not fixing the overall problem.

Going to change the fuel filter this week also.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Changed the fuel filter yesterday which gave a major increase in power.

Plugged in a small hand held diagnostics unit. - No faults found

Cleaned the MAF today. It did work. Used a spray can of electrical contact cleaner. Alot smoother now. I can really notice it rolling up to a roundabout no more chugging as the revs drops towards 1000rpm.

Still not 100% but close. Idle is still slightly rough. Only notice this by comparing to a friends AJT thats idles smoother and accelerates better.

Idle sensor and EGR valve clean and blank is next on the list.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts