VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of an odd one this, and im not sure if it should be here or electrical.

This morning settimg of for home after a night shift started as usuall not frozen but condensation on back wondow and mirrors so.put the heated screen on sett of and as soon as i got to 2500rpm the van just lost power and struggled, ok up to 2500 but oncw there tjat was all i was having no matter what i gave it, even with cluch dow. Wouldent rev past 2500, assumed it was going into limp :*? So turned heated screem of before i stoped and hey presto alls was fine. Put heated screen back on and nothing happend. So weather it was un related i dunno :*

Any one shed some light on this? Had simmilar issues?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
could be slightly related like a poor earth on the heated screen causing a volts drop across the van and that us set your engine electrics.
Try it again next time and if the engine will not run right turn off the heated screen and see if all is well again.T:

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
As above, does it make any difference if you turn the heated window on before or after ignition?

And if it is a wiring fault; Do you have heated wing mirrors, cause i believe these are also switched with the same rear window heater switch. And the wiring runs through the door bellows, which is well known to be a source of troubles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Strangely I'm having the same problem this week!!!! Just went to Tesco's ran powerless limited to 2500rpm, parked up engine don't want to rev out. stopped the engine started it up straight away and revs fine, journey home was as norm??????

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done some tests on mine, hooked voltmeter up to start battery. And with engine just started from cold the battery drops to 11.01v put tje heated rear on this takes it down to 10v and i havetouble getting past 2500 revs, if i wait for the altinator to kick in (about 1 min) then the van runs ok. Also if i dont put heated screen on it works ok.

Tested heated screen and cables and all apeares as should (no shorts to earth)

Suspect my glow plugs may need changing as there original (van on 150000) or battery due for chamge (altho its a buch and is a year old)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Reading other posts- it could be broken inter-cooler / turbo pipework, trip to VW for me or a ferry to a VAG speaciallist in portsmouth :(

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
Done some tests on mine, hooked voltmeter up to start battery. And with engine just started from cold the battery drops to 11.01v put tje heated rear on this takes it down to 10v and i havetouble getting past 2500 revs, if i wait for the altinator to kick in (about 1 min) then the van runs ok. Also if i dont put heated screen on it works ok.

Tested heated screen and cables and all apeares as should (no shorts to earth)

Suspect my glow plugs may need changing as there original (van on 150000) or battery due for chamge (altho its a buch and is a year old)
Don't know if this would do it, but could the resistance be to high in the heater element or the wiring to it? You wouldn't see a short but if there's a damaged cable it would push the resistance up and it may be the source of the trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts