VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and gals,

Hoping you can help. Took the van for a spin today with its new wheels and exhaust (Cat Back Twin Duplex from Cybox) and all was going well. Van was running sweet and been on a short run earlier in the day. I gave it some beans up the slip road to join the motorway, leaving the old golf standing and everything was running lush.

Then on the motorway I commented to the wife it felt gusty - the van was not really punching through the air. Then I realised I had lost power, a lot of power. It was like there was no turbo to push us along. Ended up doing the Bristol to Bath Junctions of the M4 at around 40/50 mph in 4th with foot flat to floor.

Key points:
  • Engine is 2004 2.5L 174 AXE (177K on clock)
  • There is no smoke
  • Engine sounds fine on tick over
  • Engine sounds ok when reved in N.
  • No turbo whistle
  • No pull above 1.5 / 2 thou revs.
  • No warning lights on dashboard

Just been on an quick spin having left the engine for a few hours and all seems ok now! Nothing I like better than an intermittent fault!

Thanks in advance for your time and experience suggesting what could be wrong.

Chris

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was the actuator on the turbo. I also replaced the turbo on another van that had the same problem. Both 2.5tdi. Both needed new turbos and both with over 100k on the clock.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the van has been to VeeWeeServices today and it just gets more and more expensive.

A sprung flap/value near the EGR :confused: which does something relating to the engine has broken and will cost £300 quid to fix. Oh, and the exhaust manifold is also cracked. :(

If anyone could explain a bit more about this sprung flap I would be grateful.

What sort of prices should we expect for a manifold. Is it the sort of thing one can fix themselves?

Thanks for any contributions as always.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having exactly the same problem!!!! Just frustrating as the van runs and pulls fine for a couple of hundred miles then has this random power loss which you've mentioned in your first post. I just pull over switch it off then back on and its good to go. Please stick up what your outcome was post garage assisstance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there I've had this problem. It turned out to be the gate jamming open on the turbo. You could turn it off whilst going along, turn it back on and boost! Boost to hard and it would fail again straight away. If this is what yours is ding I would get that checked out. I fitted a recon turbo and it was good as gold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all, I have just had what happened to the op but on a 1.9 102 but my problem will now go away. There are no warning lights no power and no turbo whistle, van is the same even after being restarted. Is this going to be a big bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts