VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody help on my way back from vanfest the van loss power so pulled in to the layby could not see anythin started back up again and then ten minutes later it did it again so turned of the engine and restarted and everythin was fine until another ten mins :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like the turbo may have gone.
Same thing happened to me this year whilst travelling on hols.
Loss of power, pulled over, engine off, restarted and ok. Went again some time after.
eventually got worse and worse until visit to dealer and lost a couple of days hol waiting for a turbo to arrive.
Fortunately under warrenty otherwise i was told it would have been a grand touch.

Dont hold me to it but this was our experience.
Unfortunately when back home, went in for a water leek and cost 5 grand for a new engine!
Hope all goes well
Cheers
Carl

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Sounds like its going into limp mode due to one or many problems.
Get it into VW van centre for a checkover or sell it and buy a T4 much more reliable and cheaper and easier to fixT:

T5's are definately the way backwards but more money for the stealers

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine did this it was the intercooler pipe it had a crack in it according to a indepented garage i do not nornally use but they know thier vw stuff but my garage put me onto them

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine had just started with the same symptoms on saturday.
I tried the redex fix thinking it was the turbo vanes sticking....but...
It was diagnosed as a faulty MAF meter - but no fault codes came up.
Replaced it this morning from GSF so far so good but I need to do a long run to make sure.
A lot cheaper than a turbo and apparently MAF failure in VWs is a common problem.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well guys its been a frustrating 2 weeks tried allsorts so opted for a recon turbo set me £490 plus extra for fitting so got the van back today so fingers crossed its ok and thanks again for all the info A:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi mate did this cure your problem cos I have the same loss of power issues?
The AA recovered us and checked the MAF ( I had that problem on a 1.9tdi Audi A4 ) but no fault codes and readings were fine. Its now got to the point that it happens within 5miles of setting off anywhere on a decent run any help much appreciated T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts