VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all srry about this I am confused about doing the timing on a 1.9td abl engine I've replaced the fuel pump and cambelt kit I have been told by a few ppl that the abl is self timing u cant move the fuel pump but on the pulley there is adjustment but my problem is that if u put a dail gauge in the pump and loosen the 3 bolts of turn the crank your gauge wont move cause the pulley will move but not the shaft so lost now.now it takes a bit to start it and it's a bit smoky be for the change it started on the button glow plugs and relay replaced thanks for any input

·
Registered
555 Posts
loosen pump pulley bolts and rotate the pump shaft with the center bolt and keep crank and cam timing still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I still turn the crank until the needle stops moving then 0 the gauge then go back to tdc then loosen the bolts turn shaft and what number am I looking for thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Turning the crank will just put the timing out, its the pump shaft/pulley that needs to turn to move the gauge and set pump timing, try with the belt off, set the cam and crank with their marks or pins,then set the pump with its locking pin then remove pump pin and use gauge by rotating pump pulley and set to zero then the other way to the spec number ( i dont know what the number is) then fit belt and do everything up and check crank and cam timing is still set and the pump gauge still says what you set it at.
Or just try trail and error without the gauge until it runs ok, set crank cam timing and pump locking pin, remove pin and just experiment with small adjustments on the 3 pump pulley bolts until it runs ok..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts