VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a T5 camper (13 plate) & can't wait to suss out some proper summer adventures.
It has a rib bed, reimo roof etc but since we are a family of 5 I'm tempted with the driveaway awnings.
I'm keen on the quick erect air systems out there but they are darn expensive.
Can anyone recommend any decent drive away awnings? Need to have sleeping area for min. 3 people, separate area for kitchen etc. Must have adequate, stable walkway between van & awning & have an easy method to attach to Van (ideally magnet I guess)
I'm also looking to heat my van via solar & generate low electricity for charging laptops/smartphones too. Portable solar wud be great as I'm not sure I can shuff solar panels on top of a reimo roof....
Finally, I'd like to seek out a stress free ride for my Springer Spaniel. He mainly goes in a cage which he hates but I'm not comfortable keeping him at the rear of the RIB bed as he constantly jumps up, pawing at the kids infront. I need to prevent this hyper dog hurting the kids in front, any ideas on this?
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
722 Posts
we've got a khyam xc drive away awing its a good size, sleeps 4 in the bedroom area and has a huge living area, I dont know about the air beam awnings but ive seen air beam tents and you would need a trailer to take it with you, they seem to be twice the size as a standard type when packed away

·
Registered
412 Posts
we went for the khyam motordome sleeper and it works great for us - 2 adults, 2 kids and a husky.
I didn't fancy faffing on drilling a rail into the van so I considered a magnet, however heard bad things from some (but not all) that had them - flapping in high wind etc - so decided against it. Instead we went for a rail that simply attaches using the roof rack screws. I already had a roof rack on the van for boards etc, but camper essentials made us one that is cut to fit around your roof rack. Highly recommend it - no drilling or gluing and reasonably cheap in comparison to other rails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys thanks for this. Khyam seem to fit the bill then. Will check them out.

Gray-T5 -How do you transport your husky?

·
Registered
412 Posts
she doesn't mind a cage too much, so she often goes in there - I put it on a towel so it doesn't scrape the flooring and I tie it to the back of the bench seat so it doesn't slide around.
she does however prefer to ride on the bench seat, but that's not the safest and she does fidget a lot (plus she's a husky/german shepherd cross - so she sheds hair all over the place and it's a pain to get off the seats.)

·
Registered
722 Posts
we went for the khyam motordome sleeper and it works great for us - 2 adults, 2 kids and a husky.
I didn't fancy faffing on drilling a rail into the van so I considered a magnet, however heard bad things from some (but not all) that had them - flapping in high wind etc - so decided against it. Instead we went for a rail that simply attaches using the roof rack screws. I already had a roof rack on the van for boards etc, but camper essentials made us one that is cut to fit around your roof rack. Highly recommend it - no drilling or gluing and reasonably cheap in comparison to other rails.
next time you set up can you post a picture of how the awning connects via your brackets to your roof bars, i currently tie mine to the bars

·
Registered
205 Posts
Guys thanks for this. Khyam seem to fit the bill then. Will check them out.

I take 'Dave' the dog in ours - fitted a short seat belt buckle from a Citroen to the floor between the front seats just using one of the bolt holes (I assume from the previous double bench seat) and fit a seatbelt harness to him. He then lays behind the front seats.

·
Registered
412 Posts
next time you set up can you post a picture of how the awning connects via your brackets to your roof bars, i currently tie mine to the bars
will try and get you a picture when I can (unfortunately vans in the garage getting a new turbo among other wallet lightening things), however this is the link to where I go it - their pictures are pretty good. If you speak to him on the phone (can't remember his name) he's happy to adapt it to your needs - you just measure the width of your roof rack feet and he adapts the rail to match.

http://camperessentials.co.uk/shop/vw-t5-bolt-on-awning-rail-for-roof-rack/

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts