VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a Stealth Roof fitted by Low Life?

I'm planning to visit them next weekend to have a look at a fitted roof as long as they have a demo / customer van available, but I can't find any reviews anywhere.

https://www.low-life.co.uk/product-page/copy-of-low-life-stealth-roof-t6-lwb

As it's potentially a large amount of money that I am going to spend it would be good to hear about any experience with the company and roof from previous customers.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Be careful when using the word "stealth" you might upset someone on 'tother side of the Pennines! :eek:

·
Registered
380 Posts
4500 pounds is a lot to pay for a roof ... however stealth it may be!

Considering that notion of 'stealth' vanishes the minute you raise the roof, I'm struggling to understand the appeal.

Its price is higher than a roof from SCA, Reimo, Westfalia, and even VW California ... so it had better be of really superior quality. I paid a whole lot less to have an SCA fitted to my van earlier this year, and couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
:eek: all that money and only a 5 year warranty :eek:
Love the fastest roof installation Quote 1-2 days I:

Looks very nice from the side and the rear not sure I like the shoulders it creates from the front but at least they do a LWB versionT:I:

Sure this roof will do well with the big wheel brigade T:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
We paid about £3K for our pop top, the canvas is extremely good quality, its not a named brand but a copy of the sca roof I think. I have been on many campsites and the quality of the canvas looks apalling. Had our roof for about six years now and it is great. The only thing I needed to do was upgrade the struts but that may have been because we have the fiamma air vent extractor for our pooch. Did not make a big dent as I think the pair were about £80 from SGS and pretty easy to do. T:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
So I had a look into these before I had my roof done (hilo in the end). They are quite similar to the hilo, the obvious difference is the stealths hinges are on the inside of the canvas and it's CRP instead of GRP. Hilo also now offer a CRP option however I chatted to a few fitters and was informed that it wouldn't be an option for long as they didn't work out, they don't mould into shape the same as GRP and it's difficult to get the shape of the OEM roof right - I don't know how much truth there is in that. I was also told that due to the similarities and the patents and registered designs on the hilo that the lowlife stealth wouldn't be around for long - again don't know how much truth is in that.

For me, I went with the hilo as it's gone through it's teething problem stage and they're now being fitted daily. It's also tested to M1 standard.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm still confused about what a stealth pop-up roof really means. :*
  • When the roof is down, why is stealth needed?
  • When the roof is up, the notion of stealth disappears.

The biggest problem with the very low profile pop-up roofs is that any 'thickness' required for a bed and comfortable mattress in the roof space has to go somewhere, so it has to lower the ceiling on the inside, meaning that you're going to be more inclined to pop the roof up sooner than otherwise, thus eliminating the notion of 'stealth'.

Maybe I'm missing something, so I'd welcome some enlightenment!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I had a look into these before I had my roof done (hilo in the end). They are quite similar to the hilo, the obvious difference is the stealths hinges are on the inside of the canvas and it's CRP instead of GRP. Hilo also now offer a CRP option however I chatted to a few fitters and was informed that it wouldn't be an option for long as they didn't work out, they don't mould into shape the same as GRP and it's difficult to get the shape of the OEM roof right - I don't know how much truth there is in that. I was also told that due to the similarities and the patents and registered designs on the hilo that the lowlife stealth wouldn't be around for long - again don't know how much truth is in that.

For me, I went with the hilo as it's gone through it's teething problem stage and they're now being fitted daily. It's also tested to M1 standard.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and have a look at a HiLo this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Claiming M1 testing of a pop top roof is misselling given the test that most if not all manufacturers are applying is a pull test of the original front seats to check the seats still stay in place in a 30mph head on crash.
Given the seat loads are being applied to the floorpan which is not altered by any hole cut for a pop top it is unlikely any strengthening frame is needs.
A side impact or structural test of the bodyshell would be a valid test and far more difficult test to pass, yet I can find no one doing such "crash" testing.

Worth checking what M1 testing is giving you, reality is very little return for bold claims.

·
Trade Member
9 Posts
DESIGN

The Stealth Roof is installed with a high strength composite sub frame housing the bed and the Elevating Roof System.

Designed and engineered to exact aerospace standards

Low profile roof just 25mm above the original roof lin

OEM look with original roof shape and convolutions

No headroom loss and works with all bed system on the market including RIB beds

CONSTRUCTION

Constructed with Carbon Fibre Composite as standard (other colours available)

Injection moulded composite roof with incorporated foam insulation for strength and thermal properties.

All stainless steel metal work

carbon fibre bed stays

optional carbon fibre gas strut covers

INSULATION

Built in insulation in the roof for low heat loss and heat gain

WEIGHT

Lowest total weight roof on the market. Reduces vehicle fuel burn on long trips.

ADVANCED WATERPROOFIING..

Modern high tech waterproof and rot proof tent available in a range of colours.​​

OPERATION

Simple and easy operation with short deployment and stowage time

SECURITY

5 point roof latching latching system sealing the elevating roof to the vehicle body for peace of mind and quite motoring.

INSTALLATION TIME

Fastest installation time, 1- 2 days

Complete installation and trimming provided in a range of carpets and colours

BED

Includes a two person articulating elevating bed

WARRANTY

Full 5 year manufacturers warranty (terms and conditions apply)

OPTION

Available for LWB and SWB

Available for both T5 and T6 vans

Available with panoramic tent

IMG]https://www.low-life.co.uk/gallery[/IMG]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.