VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice re: the sound install in the van. Currently running a low pass filter at 100Hz to the sub (Infinity Kappa) and the other speakers (all Infinity Kappa) dealing with the rest but I am still getting some vibration through the door panels at low frequency levels from the 6.5" speakers in the doors. These have already been sound proofed quite heavily round the speaker surround, back of the door panel and the door skin itself but I think the problem I have now is where the door panels sit against the inner skin and am planning on adding some sound proofing in this area to hopefully cure this.

However (getting to the point eventually) would it make sense to increase the LPF to the sub as well? I think that I have the option of running the LPF up to 200Hz and I am pretty sure that the sub will run up to 400Hz but wouldn't want to go above 150Hz unless there was a good reason for doing so.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try switching the sub off, then play something bassy and set the high pass filter to the doors right up. Then slowly bring it down until the rattle starts to reappear, back the filter off a little and use that for your settings.

Personly I like having my filters set as low as possible, the bass seems more natural and tied in to the rest of the music when it's coming from infront of you. Maybe try squashing some lumps of nice squishy foam between the door pannel and door skin to put a bit of tension into it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good plan of action that man - thanks for that.

I was going down the route of packing out the space between the inner skin and the door panel anyway in an effort to stop the problem but tweaking the HPF settings as described will allow me to fine tune it should that be necessary. Hopefully it won't as I like the way it sounds now when it isn't having its odd moments of rattling away to itself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have 10" Alpine sub under the double passenger seat.
Works really well but had toi cut everything below 120Hz.
Tried packing Rockwool etc but coulnd't iron out the resonant frequency.
Bit of a comprimise but it's not the primary place I listen to music.
I have a bulkhead with a window cut-out and removing that would definately help.
The cab alone would not accomodate loads of low end.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 10" Alpine sub under the double passenger seat.
Works really well but had toi cut everything below 120Hz.
Tried packing Rockwool etc but coulnd't iron out the resonant frequency.
Bit of a comprimise but it's not the primary place I listen to music.
I have a bulkhead with a window cut-out and removing that would definately help.
The cab alone would not accomodate loads of low end.
I assume you mean nothing below 120Hz to the doors. At a guess that would be about the frequency that I am having issues with - I have got to have the doors apart again anyway so will try either soundproofing where the door panel bolts to the inner skin in the middle or gluing a piece of foam to the inner skin. Pretty sure that is where the problem lies as the problem goes away if you "pull" the door panel away from the inner skin though that could just be as a result of tensioning the door panel.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I set my subs higher than 100, usually about 150-175 (which ever you can get away with without sounding flappy) at 50-100 htz you can sometimes here the bass coming in in out of tone or cutting in/dropping off half way through a long sweeping bass line , but really it depends on the type of music you listen to. It would be much more noticable on DnB or garage/bassline/dubstep tunes.
As far as you vibration goes, dont comprimise your sounds, turn it up, find the problem spot, and keep sound deadening it til it goes away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with T5 SYY,
Always tune your sound to your ears...what you want to hear and the way you want to hear it...once you are there, deal with the vibrations.

Keep On Groovin'
Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts