VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got my lower ball joint rattling around and could really do with changing it tomorrow (have the new one).
I did one about 3 years ago but cant remember exactly what i did but managed to borrow a great big puller thing which made it fairly easy. (i cant get it again tho)

Ive read that i should disconnect the drive shaft or wedge something up to stop it pulling out?? (didnt do this last time but have read a few stories where peepz have come unstuck not doing it)..
I have all the tools (spline bits, ball joint fork and borrowed a scissor one which im not sure will help)
Which is the easiest way of doing the job?? Is it easier to remove the part of the suspension that the BBJ is fastened to and split it when not attached to the van??

Any tips would be most welcome so i don't turn a 45 min job into 4 hrs with a bleeding hand and bruised knuckle..

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
What year van and model?

My 2001 2.5tdi was a doddle to do the bottom joints.

There are two spline bolts (m14 i think) undo these first. then undo the cross bolt in the hub. then bang the joint breaker in and the joints drops to the floor.

Simply reverse for fitting, 20 mins max each side.

The top ones are different. You can use either the "proper" puller or a big bar and big hammer.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Itsa 2002 2.5tdi .. so i only have to undo the 2 spline bolts.. and
Stupid question but which one is the the cross bolt in the hub?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive read conflicting threads where some peepz have slackened off the torsion bar first, undone the drive shaft, removed lower suspension arm etc..

Need to make a start pretty soon.. anyone care to add??

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just realised my fork hasnt got a wide enough gape.. looks about 18-19mm and im pretty sure i wont be able to seperate it as it probably wont go on the end of the tapered bit (I think) ....... luckily i checked before starting

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Once you have the ball joint ready to come out ,Just bash it with a hammer either side and they sometimes come out with the shock wave

The fork should be ok and if not grind a bit out to be able to fit it in

Good luck

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
just whack a chisel into the groove that jams the ball joint into the hub. it will then drop out. Don't fret the bottom joints are a doddle.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Fork (don't use a small 18mm.. you need 22mm+) and nice big hammer... dont start the job without both.
Just changed the oil too... every year i curse where VW put the stupid filter as warm oil runs down my arm

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tried pretty much everything to get the joint out of the arm (out of the hub was ok) but think they were originals so ended up having to take the bottom arms off both sides and soaking them in oil overnight. Good whack in a vice next day and they came out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts