VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, got myself into a spot of trouble. i was fitting a new drive shaft all went, kinda well but all in, put the lower ball joint bolts back on, i never noticed but the start of one of the threads on the bolt was a bit mashed and as i ran it in it's made a mess of the thread and wont't tighten. got a couple of new bolts but the damage has been done to the receiving end. looking for some ideas to get me out of this jam. what are my options?
ta
dan

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok found a kit on ebay 15quid so no too bad. can someone confirm the lower ball joint bolt are M14? aren't they.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so i had a measure of the bolt and i'm getting 11-12mm so i'd say it'll 12mm. and roughly 1mm pitch. could anyone confirm this before i buy a kit just want to make sure i get the correct kit.
ta
dan

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This is one of the most stressed bolts I can imagine on a t4 all the shock load is on it you really cant be fudging it. i had a ball joint bolt fail on a vito and had both wheels pointing in.if it had not been on a quiet road i might not be here. suspension component strength is about 7 times the weight on that corner, the suspension is heavy for a reason do not bodge get another hub

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fair point well made, would i have to go to main dealers? had a look on gsf can't see anything, any idea of price?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
fair point well made, would i have to go to main dealers? had a look on gsf can't see anything, any idea of price?
just get a second hand one from a breakers,parts gateway is good unless anyone on here is breaking one,put a wanted add in. A mondeo one for my car was £30 posted from parts gateway as a ball park figure

·
Registered
40 Posts
just buy a new lower ball joint £11 from gsf doneT: also if u are going to beat the ball joint to split it leave the nut on the end ofthe tread to protect it

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i buy a new joint, it still needs to be screwed into the 2 receiving holes in the hub, it is one of these that is the problem the thread is ed so will not tighten, so i'd be driving with only 1 bolt in the bottom joint. so sadly new joint won't help, but a member is posting one to me so hopefully it'll arrive in the next few days and i can get the van back on the road till the next mishap.
dan

·
Registered
541 Posts
do not helicoil it ....this bolt is under a lot of stress ...drill it out and re..tap the hole up to the next size with a bolt to suit..tap will cost you a tenner but don't try to tap in one go..do it gradually

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ye i thought of taping the next size up, helicoils got mentioned too but was discounted. waiting on a the hub part from a member, should be here soon and hopefully no great hassle in fitting and finally back on the road. just need to work my way thro the list of other things i need to get done on the van. always something.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Why would helicoil be a problem here?

I think there is loads of metal to ensure a proper fit - and for the stress - I think that properly mounted - it is the hub/balljointflange that takes the load and not the 2 bolts?

The bolts are there to make sure that the balljoint-flange is taking the load.

Or am I totally wrong?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts