VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'll be using my LWB T5 as my day to day vehicle, but also as a camper. My wife and I are both kitesurfers so humping 2 lots of gear around will be the vehicle's main purpose, but we would want to chuck the bikes in the back now and then too. Being able to carry passengers as well as being able to remove the RNR bed completely is also desirable. That's the point of buying "The worlds most versatile van" right?

I've been researching RNR beds for about a week now and have decided that I'm after the flexibility that the Reimo 333 would provide, and realise that the general consensus on here is that they are the best on the market. I should hope so too considering they're the guts of 4 grand!

I wondered if any of you good people have had any experience of a cheaper alternative? Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Also, as an after though, have any of you done a conversion with kitesurfing in mind? If so some inspiration on layouts would be gladly accepted too!

TC

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

I'm pretty much in your boat - kitesurf, surf and take family with a LWB T5 - I wanted the Variotech 333 but couldn't justify the extra cost so went for the RIB Altair 112. It's being converted as we speak but I spent a lot of time researching and the Altair still leaves a lot of room in the back (boot) for chucking kites, wetsuits etc and the 'parcel shelf' bit can lock up or down (like the Variotech). This isn't a removable seat but I think you will pay a fair premium for this option on any RnR.

I didn't settle for anything specific to the kite / surf lifestyle as it needs to accommodate us as a camper primarily and the kit is pretty transportable anyway. We have got some roof rails being fixed to the pop top roof by the converter with extra reinforcement being added so that I can stick some Thule bars on for boards, kit bag etc if we are loaded up for a long trip - these are the same bars that fix to the standard T5 roof rather than the Reimo gutter rails.. Again, way too expensive for what they are!

I've also gone for a Propex heater for those winter sessions and hooking up to a gaslow system with an extender hose to connect a gas BBQ for post surf grub :). The gaslow is system is really cool as you just top up at the LPG station.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I really wouldnt get too hung up on a seat being removable.....its a great idea in theory, but when something weights 100kg and has about 10mm clearance on door openings and takes 4 people to safely move it, I cant see anyone ever taking one in and out on a regular basis.

As for the sliding ability, it is definitely very useful, and on a lwb van gives you a very big space either in front or behind.

If you didnt want a full on camper, then a caravelle seat on rails would be a good alternative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info folks.

Yeah Matt, I'm thinking along the same lines with respect to fitting a roof box for those longer trips away but just chucking the gear in the back on trips locally. Tell me, would fitting roof bars limit my choice when it comes to awnings? I'm toying with the idea of the Gybe inflatable tent because not having to hump poles around appeals to me. Also, cheer for the tip on the Gaslow system, that's another solution I was pondering!

ed-j, thanks also, that makes sense as in reality I wouldn't need to remove the seats that often and if I did, then I'm happy enough to take a spanner to them.

And last but not least! Thanks for pointing me to scot seat Clunky, they don't look to different from the reimo's except the price is much more acceptable! They're also near to me so that's handy.

Hope yous have had a nice bank holiday in your vans.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah Matt, I'm thinking along the same lines with respect to fitting a roof box for those longer trips away but just chucking the gear in the back on trips locally. Tell me, would fitting roof bars limit my choice when it comes to awnings? I'm toying with the idea of the Gybe inflatable tent because not having to hump poles around appeals to me. Also, cheer for the tip on the Gaslow system, that's another solution I was pondering!
I don't think it will limit your options for awning - I'm looking into an awning too, from what I can tell the awning rails (whichever type) fit to the side of the van (not the pop top roof) and the roof rails will be on the actual pop top roof so you should be good to go. I'm not sure how the gybe fits to the van tho so it could be different - I stopped looking at it further as soon as I saw the price! :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great thread-currently having the same dilemma myself for biking/surfing/carrying for work purposes. Flexibility is the key! Lots of peeps converting van's very professionally for camping, but not many that can be converted back to a basic van if needed.

I've emailed Scot Seats as they look like the best currently alternative, but unfortunately I'm in Devon. I've spoken to Smart Beds in Bristol who are looking to develop a slider system for their beds, but I need something sooner. I'd be interested in anyone's opinions of Scot Seats?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, I've got a double deluxe scot seat with built in seatbelts, the quality
Is very good, all crash tested too:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Scot Seats do look very high quality based on Gooson's pic. Seems to be the way forward. I emailed them on Friday but as yet no reply. I'll try giving them a ring tomorrow and try to nip in and see them the week after next as I'm only 20 mins away. I'll report back on here once I have........

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The California seat is what you are after!

I have one in mine for the same reason, slides comes out folds into a bed, has a drawer underneath etc etc

Very versatile and a fair bit cheaper than the 333.

I can source one for you PM me if you want some prices

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nickhead, what is the California seat? Does it fold down into a bed? The scot seats
I have are quality and crash tested but I do wish I had bought something that folds
Down as using the van for weekends now and not as a day van as first intended! How
Much are they please? If I could get decent money back on mine I would be interested,
Paid over £600 for mine less than a year ago though! Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Nickhead, what is the California seat? Does it fold down into a bed? The scot seats
I have are quality and crash tested but I do wish I had bought something that folds
Down as using the van for weekends now and not as a day van as first intended! How
Much are they please? If I could get decent money back on mine I would be interested,
Paid over £600 for mine less than a year ago though! Cheers
the california seat folds out into a bed but requires an extra piece called a multiflex board to make into a full length bed..

this is a pic of mine when i first converted my van..

we used ours for our littlen to sleep on so didnt need the multiflex board (we kipped in the roof)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Depends on condition, age and availability id hazard a guess at between £1800-£2100 with two rails but they tend to vary massively!

Much better than a rib etc in my opinion as you keep the multi functionality of the van.

Be cautious if fitting as if you fit the rails in the standard position you can't remove the cali seat without taking the front seat out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So ordered a RNR bed from Scot Seats the other day. Should be with me in about a week as they have to knock up a set of longer rails (at no extra cost) for my LWB.

So far impressed with the service, will post pics and more info once it's been fitted...............

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
So ordered a RNR bed from Scot Seats the other day. Should be with me in about a week as they have to knock up a set of longer rails (at no extra cost) for my LWB.

So far impressed with the service, will post pics and more info once it's been fitted...............
how did it go?? any pics (cost with rails)

·
previously known as: baggit
812 Posts
im in pretty much the same boat as you, caravelle set up is what i have, similar to the california but full width, sorry if you have cupboards, my bad., having said all this my mate has a rib bed and i have to say the ammount you can get in the base itself is pretty surprising so mush so he certainly gets more storage than me and next time im not sure id be so hung up on a bed on rails, his is so easy to put down too, with no extra matress.

as was said before i did think i would take the seat out at times, but never have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another Kiter here. I found less is more. I went for the full width cannons forge with a 500 shelf at the back and left the interior at that. On a LWB that leaves you 750 at the front with the bed down. So room for a kitchen pod. The full width covers the 3 kids and the 500 shelf covers all their stuff. My kite gear bag fits perfectly behind the front seats so I've left the interior blank for now and will possibly for the forseable future. We're not camping and if we did it would only be the odd night so kitting the van out as a full camper didn't make sense to us.

Icey tek cool box, a little gas burner for tea, coffee etc a fold away table and chairs your away. As a day van it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts