VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
You may have to lift the towing ball back up an inch or so to keep the caravan level or at least reduce the likely grounding of the nose wheel etc when on the road.

My multivan is bog standard and I am still tempted to add a plate to lift the hitch ball an extra half inch or more to help level out the towing position. You can get plates but you have to be sure there is room to fit them and that you are not creating other trouble with opening of rear doors etc.

Take the van to a caravan centre and talk to their tech people. If the Caravan nose is too far down its not good, but a little bit nose down is not a problem, just that the bum end of your caravan leaves cars behind looking at your spare wheel on the caravan.

Good luck and happy towing...dragged my Caravan down to Sth West France this Summer. No trouble. T:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I want to tow a caravan but I have a low van do I need a special tow bar thanks
If the caravan is on leaf springs.

And the axle is under the springs flip the axle to sit on top of the spring this will lower the caravan.

If the axle is already on top of the axle get longer shackle bolts and block the axle between the leaf spring this will also lower the caravan.
With a bit of messing you could make it look good, btw the tow bars plates are only recomended for dropping the tow ball not raising it, there are no special tow bars, :)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The CHEAPEST was is to get a towhitch that has a higher/longer neck ;) Bolt off - bolt on! No brainer really
I have the opposit pronlem. but don`t want to drop the towballLOL:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts