VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please. Local performance shop (who seem to know what they are on about) say with a quality spring that they use i can go down 35mm. This drop will involve very little tinkering with the van set up they claim.

I have a T5 1.9 with a long wheel base on a 04 plate that is a 9 seater and used as family transport for my 5 kids and wife. They advised that as a family vehicle that is regularly used and not a show wagon this is best. What do you lot think?

I would love her to go down more, 50mm at least but if this is not good for kids safety or the van (my wife would kill me if i messed up our new pride and joy) then 35mm will have to do. For the time being its going to sit on its standard wheels and tyres but in the future when funds allow i would like a lower profile on it as well which i take it will make it look lower.

They have said if i buy springs else where they will fit them at a price but when then get to the question of which spring to buy. Help please, I'm not mechanical so this stuff is not obvious to me. :confused: :(

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi mate,

I think the problem with a 35mm lowering spring is that they don't lower the exact amount. I put -40mm on mine and it went down 37/38mm not dead on 40. Not a huge problem but if 35mm only drop it say 30 ish then what would be the point?

I ran mine for a good few months on the standard wheel while I saved for new wheels and it didn't look to bad. I don't think safety comes into it really. If anything the lower the safer as there is less body roll through bends etc...as long as it's done by some one who knows what they're doing.

I got my H&R spring from exploria and am well happy with the ride hight, handling and the comfort. So can highly recommend them.

Oh, plus once it's been lower you should get the wheels laser aligned so that everything is at the right angle and you get even tyre wear all round.

Hope any of this helps at all

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thor, all advice gratefully recieved. I think the -35mm are out. I've talked to South West Conversions about their -55mm which sound good. Anyone else running them? I understand u have to cut the bump stops and my local perforance garage says this will shorten the life of the shocks. SWC say yes but not by much as they have plenty of play anyway. Opinions please. Norwich is a long way from Devon to get SWC to fit them as well as supply. I only want to do this once so want to get it right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Big Frog. I definitely would not go 80 low. Anyone out there on SWC -55's ???????????????????:confused:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I would be happy to buy any ones sport line coils as I only want to go down 30mm or so.. not too bothered about being all low and that.. just want to take off the look of being on stillts..

pm me if you have any.. then I will not get greif from the insurance copmay as well, as they are VW ones..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Shock absorbers are designed to work within a certain range, they work less effectively towards the extremities of these ranges. Ineffective shock absorbers affect braking performance and will after a while unsettle the car/van especially if you change weight transfer mid-corner for example. So it is important to run your shocks within their design limits. If your local garage says that 35mm is a good drop then they are probably referring to the fact that the shocks will still be working in their designed range when starting from 35mm lower down (it isn't actually 35mm lower down the shock as the shock isn't at the extremities of the wheel - but that's splitting hairs!) A van suspension must be designed to work when loaded or unloaded, so a decent load in the van will drop the height by a certain amount (probably 35mm or more) and thus the shock is designed to accomodate that.

As important is the steering & suspension geometry, alignment is set up at the factory at a certain ride height, as a suspension arm moves through it's arc, the geometry alters which is fine in a corner, but if you lower the starting point, then for the same corner, the arm is further round it's arc and thus the geometry is different.

I hope that makes sense, I compete in club motorsport (not in the T5 I hasten to add!) and we alter suspension away from factory standards all the time. Lower may look good, but too low is seldom the best for handling or ride.

Incidentaly, VW's sport springs in their T5 accessory catalogue are 30mm drop (£226+vat zgb7h0071676). There wasn't any mention of needing to fit them with other shocks which tells me that drop is deemed perfectly acceptable by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
nicely sumed up Carl, that akes perfect sence & explains why all the springs with TUV approval ie; H & R, KW are 40mm drop max...........A:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Carl and Topliss. That's the stuff i was looking for and why this site is so useful. A: I'm starting to think i might be best to leave her well alone, just in the fullness of time put some 18 or 19 wheels on her and some sidebars and leave it at that. That will make her look good even without the lowering i would have thought. :ILU:

If there are anymore opinions please keep on a posting. T:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I see you're unregistered on the site - there's a HUGE wealth of experience & advice on here which you're very welcome to....but it costs to keep it running, so dig a tenner out & register!!

Not only that but it allows access to loadsa photo's and builds which are invaluable.

Oh, and I agree entirely with the comments above about steering geometry. Mines down 30mm & rides great.

:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
might be a daft question but how do you join?

EDIT Just found the button at the bottom right of the user control panel. (I can edit my smelling spitakes now!)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Carl, just register & pay ya £10 fee, by paypal if its easier & your in:ILU:

H & R springs lower by 40mm, excellent ride, better handling especially on corners, takes out the body role & still carries the wieght when loaded.T: when registred check out all the threads on here;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:( There you are you have shamed me into registering LOL: I all legal and can now look Jimbo in the eye when i see him for our Norfolk Fireworks Rally at Deer Glade. :ILU:

Once again fellas thanks for all the replies..........so H & R Springs are the best then?????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But what about ride quality Kustom? As a LWB 9 seater I don't need the wife and kids moaning about every slight bump in the road :confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
just had my t5 lowered by ultimate transporters ive gone down 35mm it does make a diffrence you can tell its lower but the big change is in the handling hardly any body roll but you do feel the bumps more i would not want to lower it any more unless the springs were a bit softer but then you loose some of the weight capacity i thinkI:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi have a 2.5 LWB T32, running on 18's and lowered with VW sportline springs, made a huge differance to the handling but the ride was hardly affected........good luckT:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Already have my T30 on 35mm Jamex springs,cut a loop off the fronts yesterday to lower a bit more so now probably have about 60-70mm,very good ride,no bangs,knocks or anything:

Have full camping interior in the rear,often carry 2 bikes and kayak when camping,again it,s been fine on 35mm springsILU:

·
Registered
574 Posts
just had my t5 lowered by ultimate transporters ive gone down 35mm it does make a diffrence you can tell its lower but the big change is in the handling hardly any body roll but you do feel the bumps more i would not want to lower it any more unless the springs were a bit softer but then you loose some of the weight capacity i thinkI:
Any pics of your van Dave now its lowered on a set of alloys ? :ILU:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts