VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im gonna admit to looking stupid here!!. id like to lower the van say about 40-50 mm maybe im guessing. anyway seen loads on here about springs, coilovers etc etc.. so stupid question of the day is what do i need , how much are they and what would a garage charge (roughly) to lower the van!!!.. not sure if im confident to do it myslef think id take my head off with a spring or something!!:*:*:*

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: lowring my van

Hi mate, I may be going to coilovers soon so should have my h&r springs to sell (done about 4000 miles)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

sorry pelmet.i dont know what that means.. what are h and r spings fella!!!!!!!:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*sorry!!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts

Search the forums here there is a lot on coilovers, springs etc. I have recently fitted prosport coilovers, they cost around £260.00 and a local garage should be qouting you anywhere from £60 to £160.00 to fit. My ride now feels firmer, not harsh and I am currently running 18" rims.T:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

im on 20's with 245 but gonna go for 255 as im kerbing the alloys o hoping that will help. does that make a difference as to what i can use to lower the van!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spent a while looking at this too. Springs will lower about 40/50mm, but you're stuck with that spring rate so the more you spend, the better quality ride you'll get. Around £150-£300 for the springs & another £100ish for fitting.

Coilovers allow you to fine tune your drop, up to around 100mm, & also adjust the damping so you can go for soft to firm. Expect to pay £250ish up to £1500. Fitting's about the same.

What model T5? Options are limited on the T32, as I found out. Ended up recently fitting H&R springs & very happy with the result.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Best advice I can give is this, stay away fro Prosport Coil-overs.
I fitted to my T5 and I have to say they ruined my ride quality. Way too harsh as they cant be adjusted unless you spend extra for the adjustable models, which I hear are also a waste of money.
You get what you pay for...same as always.
In the end, I put up with them for 3 days before taking them off and fitting a set of H&R springs and some Bilsteins. A:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've just changed my -60mm lowering springs for prosport coilovers, and have to say I'm perfectly happy with them. Yes, the ride is a little harsh, but it's a van, so I can put up with it, because it looks cool.

ALso means I have a set of springs to unload as well... I:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts