VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to lower my t5 pretty soon but want to weigh up my options. its sitting on 18" wheels at the moment but will be upgrading to 20" in the near future. i am only using the van to transport motocross bikes so its not being loaded with loads of weight. what is my best option, springs or coilovers??? is it worth me spending that extra money on coilovers for what i am using my van for? i aint to bothered about handling improvements etc and my other question is how low do i go?? ;-) haha

·
Registered
407 Posts
Snap....I'm looking to do pretty much the same pretty soon. I've got a 04 Caravelle which I gather is already -30mm lower than a van I think. I'm looking at getting some 20" RS4 replicas and would like them to fit the arches nicely. I also don't want to change the ride comfort as I do a lot of around town driving and carry kids.

After reading various posts on here I'm more edging towards a set of -55 springs with the standard shocks, coil-overs might be ok but they are quite expensive and could possibly give a harsh ride.....:ILU:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
100 mm with coils and Cmc are 510 delivered, with adjustable dampers. Better than spring and shock combo . The lower you go the harder the ride, whether it's springs or coils, but if you have adjustable dampers you can create a comfier ride

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been toying with the options myself for some time. I have a Seat Ibiza sitting on lowering springs and it is a hard ride, also had a T4 on lowering springs and wound down at front - also a hard ride.

I reckon doing it once with reasonable collies such as Vmaxx/CMC is the way I am gonna go, cost a bit more up front but more options to dial in the ride you want.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Dont waste your money on springs,i've had H&R -40
and merseyspeed -60 but ride on both were so harsh,
So I fitted CMC coilovers got them right down and slipped
Though the hubs 20mm and ride is so much better than
The springs and I meen SO MUCH BETTER I:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you value your ride comfort you won't get springs it has to be coils with adjustable damping. Too hard is unbearable in a van, its not a sports car.

Another T: for cmc got mine set 3/4 towards softest setting and it's perfect - firm but forgiving

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have -30 Eibachs on mine, they ride like standard but the handling is much better and I didn't want to go proper low.

If you were to go any lower than -30 or -40 you would want to fit coilovers as the ride will become very harsh and you will kill the standard shocks in no time. By the time you have bought new springs and replaced the nackered shocks your better off getting coilovers in the long run.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great help people, really appreciate it.think I'll go for the works with adjustable dampers. As the saying goes "buy cheap you buy twice" haha only question I have left is as I plan on buying 20" wheels how low should/can I go??

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
What about sportsline springs?
Anyone know if VW used standard shocks with the sports springs???
think there the same length because its only 30mm drop,
but i would think there damping would be uprated a bit,
sorry i'm not much help really stoo :*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts