VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at lowering my van and there's a few choices available, H&R, Eibach, ABT, C-M-C etc. I wondered is there any difference in quality between the springs, both in material used and ride quality.

I'm actually most interested in the CMC springs as they claim a drop of 50mm, whereas most others claim 30-40mm, they're also the cheapest by a fair bit. That's where the doubts start to creep in though, life has taught me you generally get what you pay for, so the fact they are so cheap worries me. Or am I just paying over the odds for the named varieties??

Those with CMC are you happy with the ride??

Thanks
Norty

(CMC if you read this please don't be offended!!!!)

·
Registered
64 Posts
im in the same boat as you,just picked my t5 up and between alloys,springs,sidebars and everything else you can buy my head is spinnin with it all,starting to wish i kept my car I:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My CMC 50mm springs have been on a few months now and the drop is 30mm front ..35mm rear,rides is good but would look better a bit lower

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've no experience of the makes you mention but I know that quality DOES vary....usually with the price. Some cheaper springs are made from thinner diameter steel and can't take the same load as heavier duty springs. And your standard springs will probably be 'progressive' (coils vary along the lenght of the spring), cheaper ones may not be the same.

Get the best you can afford!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have just fitted h&r -40mm springs and certainly they have lowered my van but as it rides so high normally it doesnt seem to make much of a difference I:

my new 18" alloys went on yesterday and they really didn't fill the arch as much as i expected :(

however, while i sound disappointed i am not, the van looks good now it has been colour coded etc.

now, to work out how to put up phots :eek:

cheers
jezzer

·
Registered
375 Posts
H&R - 40mm on 20s.

It actually dropped 38mm but ride quality is brilliant. They have been on now for about 4 months and settled in well. Good looks with no tyre rubbing and no speed bump worries. The photo was taken about 6 days (20 miles) after being fitted and sits slightly lower now than in the picture.

Of course you always want a few extra mm lower but I think good VFM (Value For Money)

Highly recommended!!!!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
H&R - 40mm on 20s.

It actually dropped 38mm but ride quality is brilliant. They have been on now for about 4 months and settled in well. Good looks with no tyre rubbing and no speed bump worries. The photo was taken about 6 days (20 miles) after being fitted and sits slightly lower now than in the picture.

Of course you always want a few extra mm lower but I think good VFM (Value For Money)

Highly recommended!!!!!!

where did you get the wheels from thanks they look the dogs dodaas:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Jackiboy,

Cheers for the comment. I got the wheels from www.dp-motorsport.co.uk They took AGES to turn up but well worth the wait, about 7 weeks I think. You can choose which size tyre wall you want 35 or 45. I went with the 35s. they also supply all new bolts with 4 locking ones as well. All I need to do now is get round to buying some VW centre caps

Covered a little over 2000 miles with um now and still unmarked. Though everyone takes the P**s out of me when I park up. My brother borrowed the van to go camping for 10 days and even he went no where near a curb, well happy!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts