VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just gone to wind down my front a bit more and the drivers side is a piece of P but the passengers side aint budging. Could this be because I've only got one side off the floor at a time (the side I'm working on obviously). The nut doesn't seem siezed more like the bar is under way more tension than the other side. Also with the same amount of drop each side the drivers side torsion bar is showing 25mm of thread but the other side is showing more like 45mm is this usual???
Thanks all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi wavestarved,i lowered my van on Saturday, measured wheel arch to floor all around,changed the springs then remeasured the back to determine front drop. Turned the nut down 25mm. Measured the front and there was a 15mm differance in arch hight. went for a short drive then lowered the high side. So to answer your question yes. i've got odd lengh threads.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers lads, mine however is a difference of about 20 - 25 mm :confused:
I'll give it another go later when I get back from work, see if I can't get that other side to wind down a bit.
Oh, and should I really have both sides off the floor at once?? If so has anyone locally got a pair of axle stands I could borrow? Reecey?? Beers?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
whatever you do,make sure you have an axle stand under the front,when the bolts pulls out the van drops....................quickly :eek: :*

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry Wavestarved,i havn't any axle stands, i used a trolley jack. Come to think of it i only raised the van a couple of inches so i could get a spanner on the nut so both my front wheels where on the ground. You can borrow the jack if you want. :ILU: :ILU: :ILU: :ILU:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
just a quick point

the correct way of measuring is from the centre of the wheel to the arch and compensate on nthe torsion bars either side to get it even.

and axle stands are a MUST as MickB says

·
Registered
95 Posts
And if you're using standard length struts it's recommended by Monroe, Bilstein etc not to go lower than 40mm as it will shorten the life of the damper.

I've just fitted 40mm lowered Eibach springs with Billies and the ride heights are 395mm at the back and 385mm at the front (the front should be 10mm lower than the back)

You will have different thread lengths left at the end of your torsion bars due to more weight on the drivers side...it's quite normal T:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Reecey, I used a trolley jack under mine but would like to get both sides supported at once really. Bit nervous about just relying on jacks, particularly as the passengers side doesn't want to budge and may need some serious big-boy persuasion with the 27mm lowering stick. I re-measured the drop yesterday and there's nearly 1/2" difference. Guess I'll have to put my hand in my pocket. Grrrrrrrr-hmph!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts