VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new addition to the replacement camper that burnt down 3weeks ago now has (small) wheels an i'd love to lower next. Not sure what size of springs / how much drop should i go for with these particular wheels... anyone got any suggestions/where to buy etc? Is it a simple enough job to do myself?(i dont have much mechanical experience, i'm afraid!)

the wheels are standard BMW 5-series 17" with 255/50/17 on all 4 wheels. I regularly drive over some -slightly- uneven ground (hence the smaller rims vs larger rubber decision) and don't want to have any risk of bottoming out/rubbing on the arches etc. Was thinking maybe 35-45mm drop.

can anyone offer any advice? suggestions and pointers would help me make an informed choice!

thanks

do you like the wheels, by the way?

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
not got a clue about the wheels-but someone will be along shortly tp put you right T:

i was more taken aback with the pic of youre old van-what happened :eek:
new vans nice though-good unusual colour T: every cloud has a silver lining T:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yoiks, what on earth happened?

The new T5 looks great thou, love the colour... will you be matching the bumpers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glad folks like the colour - a bit different from the norm, and matches my new 4month son!

The old T4 surf bus was pretty faithful, but on the way to work (left the house 5mins before this pic) i thought i could smell something burning... pulled in straight away at service station, lifted the bonnet and flames jumped up at my hands. The next 90secs or so saw me running round trying to get as many valuables out as quickly as possible - managed my Rocky Mountain bike, helmet, laptop, work bag (i'm a teacher), food box, gas bottle/stove, quilt and some sunglasses. The whole thing was an inferno in about 3-4 minutes - i really got a fright; it was a horrible experience. To think that i had been planning a surf trip overnight the next night - with son and wife in tow. It could've been much much worse, and just pushed me into T5 territory, and i am delighted with the new one!

anyone got any ideas about how much to lower this one ? 60mm? 80mm? give me some suggestions!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice picture also like the first one. Don't show it to the t4 owners tho!

you can lower this van from 30mm to 80mm on springs now (various makes) or more if you go on coil overs. It all depends on what ride quality you like. I went for 40mm h+r and the ride is perfect for me. putting 20inch rims has not made any worse either. I think any more than 40mm then it would be a harsh ride, unless you go on coil overs. may be some one else who has dropped more could comment more. As for catching it all depends on the offset of the wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
sheeeeeeeet dude ,i think that would put the fear of sommat brown and smelly up me as well!

happy endin thou!!

ive done my calculations for my 5 and im goin 60mm.....

cos wheels and ride height maketh the vehicle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts