VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, any one out there know if it's possable to convert diesel engines to run on LPG. Just come back from a round trip to Scotland doin 600 motorway miles on 80 litres of diesel. (1.9td) I worked this out at 37.5 to the gallon which i'm pleased with but the van running round town is'nt as good. With fuel prices startin to rise again (fuel to hit £1.20 by christmas!) it would be a saving if this could be done. Any help appriciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You can get kits to LPG diesel, but they run with the LPG mixed with diesel and are for performance rather than economy I believe

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David, as far as i know it is possable to convert to LPG but the engine once converted will only run on LPG and not LPG and diesel. I thought i would look in to it and way up the savings. I know some hgv lorries run on natural gas and pay around 35p a litre. I sure some one knows more on this subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Try the 'lpg' forum, there's a couple of knowledgeable guys on there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sure you can do it but it is complicated because you have to fit a secondary ignition system to run spark plugs as gas doesn't explode under compression as well as diesel, you need an ignition source to ignite the gas, all this is expensive to have fitted.
I have been told this by the boss of a truck company who had all his trucks converted but it was only cost effective coz of the number of miles they all cover a week. So please don't shoot me if i'm wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what i've seen on the internet, it can be done but could work out expensive with having to have spark plugs and a ignition system etc fitted. I may look at getting a petrol T4 next time! Thanks for all the info, back to the drawing board!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts