VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im addicted to LPG. (i'm not a dislexic scouser meaning LSD). My current vehicles love it and i love the cheapness.
How does the T4 motor take to it? Is anyone running it out there in T4 land?
I have considered an oil burner but with the price of gas and the ease I can do a conversion then the Gas wins everytime for me but its down to how well the motor will adapt.
Any tales of woe or success stories taken aboard with equal aplomb.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Works a treat for me. just need to keep your ignition bits in top order, and plan your longer journeys carefully. I only have a 55L tank.

Running at 10p a mile with LPG at 49.9p per litre.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. Nice to hear positive replies for a change. I usually come up against a brick wall when i mention it and I can usually hear people sucking in air through there teeth and shaking there heads ready to tell me the story about how it wrecked uncle kens engine.

I have used it for years and love it. If the T4 can handle it then thats an easy decision for me.
The other question. Do you guys run Flash Lube?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The other question. Do you guys run Flash Lube?
yes i do. I can't say if it does any good or not. Certainly doesn't seem to do any harm so horse on.

I've done 20k miles with my conversion, hardly used a drop of petrol in that time. The only troubles points of note for me to mention are:

I self serviced the van - air filters etc. That completely changed how it ran on petrol. Perfect on gas but the mix (carb engine) is probably a little strong while on petrol. But I never use it.

Ignition bits. HT leads are a pain for me. VW quoted me £125 for a set. I've tried cheap alternatives but they are rubbish, dont even fit properly on the plug. I've since found a much better set for £80. These should stay OK for a while.

Other than that all's been good.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My volvo has done 150k on gas so no probs there, Honda's don't take well to it, but a good strong engine like the 2.5 petrol should be fine. If you get one of the later multi-injection systems you don't even lose much power. But as has been stated the van will need to be well serviced.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Mines been done. No real problems. Only down side is a slight lack in power but i think i just need a tune up. Cheap as chips T:
Whats this lube you speak of?!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Flash lube

Is basically an oil feed system. Gas runs hot and dry which means the valves and valve seats dont get the lubricating benefit of petrol. There have been a few complaints in the past LPG has burned heads, valves etc.
The system is a simple bottle which drips an oil into the head with the fuel. 1 bottle good for 10k miles and is basically designed to save your valves etc. Mine is a small carb engine and is fed through that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts