VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice, I picked up a 2.5 petrol Auto with only 25k miles (V Plate). I currently drive a 2.5 tdi 888x on a 03 plate. DO I keep the petrol one and convert it to LPG and sell the tdi.

My tdi is nice, satin black, 6 seater, electrics and cruise, almost mint. The petrol is also mint, also has the electrics and was a ex mobility with an underfloor lift, so I will need to remove and sell the ramp if I was to keep it.

Are the petrol engines as reliable as the diesels??

Any advice greatly appreciated?

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Keep the x pack T: Ive had low mileage 2.5 petrols and ive had lpg and ive had auto's :eek:

Do yourself a favour and keep the diesel :ILU: Will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Are the petrol engines as reliable as the diesels??
In some instances I'd say that they are. I haven't seen a single post on a petrol van throwing a cam belt. You lose count every week of how many diesels do.

that's not to say one is better than the other because that eventually comes down to personal circumstances and preferences.

Personally I'd be looking at which one has the best bodywork and less work to get it where you want it. I'll also admit the Auto boxes also give me (personally) the eeby jeebies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

Both vans are VGC and very straight.

The drive on the auto, I have to say was the smoothest drive I have had in a T4.

Will need to weigh up the odds and decide.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Other issues with an LPG fitted vehicle other than already mentioned are extra servicing (lpg filters etc although minimal), unable to use the euro tunnel and unable to use certain tunnels and underground parking in Europe.

While these seem trivial, in a van you may well use abroad a bit to travel they could sway you to stay diesel.

I have an LPG car and a diesel T4, diesel all the way for the van

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unless you live or travel a lot in London................................... I:
If you mean because of the Low Emission Zone, the 2003 tdi the OP has mentioned is exempt as it is Euro 3 compliant and if you mean the LPG congestion charge exemption, that is also no longer available sadly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
At the moment :(
All further changes to it in 2015 and beyond were scrapped as it was found 75% of the emission target could be reached by just sorting out buses within the LEZ so should be safe, as long as Ken Livingstone never becomes Mayor again.

The OP may want to apply for MPV/people carrier change with DVLA as he has 6 seats, would exempt him from LEZ if it changed in the future and would allow higher speed limits as classed as a car.

All of course if London was a factor!

Poor Kieran, said it from the start and really nobody did listen to him! We hear you Kieran

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
yes we should listen to him but not take his word as gospel. You shouldn't take mine as gospel either.

All I'm saying is look at your own particular circumstances, what you want from a van, how you intend to look after it and go from there.

I'll also say that I would prefer a good solid van over the decision of petrol or diesel any day.

I'd also say that servicing costs on diesels are generally higher (the 2.5 tdi) and more difficult to do.

Basically you need to factor everything in both long an short term and make your own decision.

For example Diesel may suit you better. maybe you have a friend who knows how to service them, it's a more solid van and you plan to use the Eurostar often. Or perhaps you have an LPG garage round the corner that sells gas at 65p a litre, love the auto box cruising etc. etc.

Anyway no one has yet given me a good solid reason why an LPG T4 is worse than a diesel one. I'll give you the fitting costs but after that it's for tat and down to your won personal circumstances and preferences.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes we should listen to him but not take his word as gospel. You shouldn't take mine as gospel either.

All I'm saying is look at your own particular circumstances, what you want from a van, how you intend to look after it and go from there.

I'll also say that I would prefer a good solid van over the decision of petrol or diesel any day.

I'd also say that servicing costs on diesels are generally higher (the 2.5 tdi) and more difficult to do.

Basically you need to factor everything in both long an short term and make your own decision.

For example Diesel may suit you better. maybe you have a friend who knows how to service them, it's a more solid van and you plan to use the Eurostar often. Or perhaps you have an LPG garage round the corner that sells gas at 65p a litre, love the auto box cruising etc. etc.

Anyway no one has yet given me a good solid reason why an LPG T4 is worse than a diesel one. I'll give you the fitting costs but after that it's for tat and down to your won personal circumstances and preferences.
We're all only expressing our opinions from personal experience which allow the OP to make his own judgement on the subject, hopefully better informed after hearing others opinions based on their own experiences.

simples T:

Once you have looked at the age/mileage/condition of the van look at the day to day running costs

My experience currently owning both a diesel vehicle and LPG is, as I expressed, ups and downs as I love both. If you ignore the cost of fitting the LPG kit which you need to consider against the initial cost of the van and it's condition the daily running costs are not much different to a diesel van.

The LPG kit requires servicing as often as the vehicle does (which everyone forgets or ignores) which negates any extra cost of servicing a diesel so it's like for like on servicing costs.

MPG of a 2.5 tdi is about 38 mpg at £1.40 a litre, 25 mpg for the 2.5 petrol auto at 70p a litre LPG although possible less as you only get 80% fuel efficiency on LPG compared to fuel.

Over 10k miles at those prices the diesel would be £1657.89 and LPG £1260, saving £397.89 without considering the petrol you need to start and run the van until at operating temperature to switch over.

So £400 saving in 10k miles

OP needs to look at that sort of saving over mileage they do along with all the other pros/cons mentioned, look at condition of the van and the price, cost of the LPG kit and possible resale in the future before making any kind of decision.

As I said, personal opinions based on experiences, my experience is LPG is only worthwhile on extremely powerful and thirsty luxury cars you would not otherwise dream of running but each to their own.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Fair points but not 100% true.

before installing my 20V turbo I ran LPG on a 1.8L carby engine in my van. It was stupid cheap to run on my regular trips from North Wales to Reading and back. It ran 100% gas. Started on it and kept going as long as there was enough in the tank. Running costs were slightly less than diesel and servicing was so easy I did it myself. Plugs, leads, dizzy and even cam belts.

LPG varies considerably in cost. Right now it can be below 70p per litre in the right area.

20% loss may be a bit harsh. 10% yes certainly. I have recorded 10% loss in power on a rolling road on my current set up.

Again servicing costs are something I don't agree with. LPG servicing is basically clean out the filters. Job done. A cam belt change on a 2.5tdi is far more scary and costly. A cam belt change on a 2.0L petrol can be done on the drive with one wheel removed and no special tools, computer hook ups etc.

As we agree it comes down to personal preferences and circumstances because my experience of LPG in a T4 tells me it shouldn't be completely discounted without some thought first.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Again servicing costs are something I don't agree with. LPG servicing is basically clean out the filters. Job done. .
Agreed. LPG filters are £5/each and take seconds to change.

My biggest issue with LPG is the one thats so often ignored - range. I get 250miles to a tank, which is enough to drive to cornwall/west wales, and then drive around for a bit. But not enough to drive home too. Unfortunately there arent many LPG stations around aberystwth or bude, so the running costs rocket up. I calculated that if I were to run down to Biaritz to meet up with the lads, I'd have to fill up 3 times on the way!

When considering the pros/cons of LPG/Diesel, purchase price of the van should be considered, 2.5TDIs are significantly more expensive than 2.5 petrol so a buyer could feasibly buy a petrol van and convert it to LPG for a fair bit less than the cost of the equivilant 2.5tdi. But this is obviously going OT, apologies to the OP.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
You make a good point d-9. On my runs down to the Med I do spend a bit too much time in French and Italian service stations :(

One plus point that hasn't been mentioned though is the lower emissions created by running LPG :*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts