VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes it's another fuel cost moan but those of us who've invested in the conversion are suffering too, Probably more if you look at the percentage rises we've endured.

I bought my first tank of LPG in November 2008 at 46.9p / litre from memory. That was in North Wales where i know it's cheaper than Reading. Last night I paid 82.9p/litre in Reading. That's nearly doubled in price in just over 2 years!! :eek:

I know we're all suffering with the prices but that kind of increase quite frankly stinks.

Why??

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
shell garage near me is selling @79.9p/litre. funny how the price never seems to fluctuate like petrol/diesel i.e. once it goes up it stays up!! was 68.9p/litre just before christmas...

but there was the fuel duty increase... and then the VAT increase so that must have added on 6-8p/litre... and of course retailers will add a bit more on just becausae they can.... still at least it's still cheaper than running on petrol

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Just like diesel, LPG is only going to go one way, now that more and more folk have got LPG vehicles.

Rip off country that we live in, I'm afraid........... :(

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Just like diesel, LPG is only going to go one way, now that more and more folk have got LPG vehicles.

Rip off country that we live in, I'm afraid........... :(
100% agree! Its disgusting and it pains me every time i fill up, seriously considering trying to get out of this country :(:(:(:(

·
Registered
737 Posts
hasn't the fuel duty freeze just ended on lpg?

remember reading somewhere that it was until the end of 2010,

not you're at the mercy of the increase, or put simply, screwed.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What gets me is rate of the rise. Fule prices have not far off doubled in 2 and half years. And all those Westminster lot are sitting there thinking they're doing a good job.

Dont get me started on Hugh FW's fishing debate either.

Apologies it's difficult not to rant on this topic

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
As soon as more lpg vehicles hit the pumps and demand went up it was always going to end up with the price rocketing. You do your bit and they still stitch you up in the end :(

Thing that gets me is they bang on about fuel efficiency and want us all to be running around in little 70+mpg mini bubbles but they simply aren't practical with a family. I had a small diesel hatchback that did over 50mpg but in the past year I have had to replace two pot hole damaged tyres, two shocks, tie rod ends, bump stops, all as a result of the dire condition of the roads. Car was getting wrecked so just chopped it in for a X-Trail in the hope to limit the damage and protect my fillings! I lose 10-15mpg in economy and the tax is more but better that than regular breakdowns and trips to the garage.

If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd be thinking the reason the roads are left so bad is so that people do switch over to 4x4's so the government can cash in on the extra fuel duty and road tax! I:

Sorry, like Noo Noo said, hard not to get inflamed on this subject :mad:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Not of course you should do this as its very naughty, but I had a dream once I: that I owned an LPG Alfa Romeo and transfered the LPG from tho's orange LPG bottles by the use of a hand transfer pump like the ones you see for sale on fleabay as it worked out about half the price of the service station stuff (around 36p pl). Just a thought, or a dream.. I:
;)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Not of course you should do this as its very naughty, but I had a dream once I: that I owned an LPG Alfa Romeo and transfered the LPG from tho's orange LPG bottles by the use of a hand transfer pump like the ones you see for sale on fleabay as it worked out about half the price of the service station stuff (around 36p pl). Just a thought, or a dream.. I:
;)
Maybe you had eaten too much cheese mate ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think some of the problem with LPG at the moment is high demand from the domestic sector. During the cold weather there was a big increase in demand from LPG for heating and the price for bulk delivery went through the roof (some companies nearly doubled prices within a 6 week period!) Hopefully prices will come down a bit once demand has been satisfied but I think the oil companies/distributors are quite happy to be making some quick profits while they can.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
;)

Not as mad as you might think

many LPG tanks have extra ports ???? not too much of a problem to fit a caravan pigtail into one and use a standard LPG tank from calor !!!!!

Especially in an old 244 volvo ?????????????? :confused::eek:Rasp::*

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Can be done and i know lots of farmers doing it to fuel their vehicles off grain dryer lpg I: 32p ltr is what they pay but make sure you use the right equipment etc

Its dangerious stuff as one farmer told me he didnt notice it was dripping on fill up to his car.....went through his trousers and he ended up having a massive freeze burn on his leg requiren surgery

I remember sitting at a meeting for a fuel retailer when LPG was introduced and how it was going to always be 1/2 price of petrol and how all vehicles would have lot lower tax .... its all going the wrong way now :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought my T5 to replace my 4.7 V8 Grand Cherokee on LPG .
It was my 3rd LPG car. 1x Jag & 2x Jeeps.
The V8 is awesome, fantastic motor.
When I bought it 3.5 years ago I was paying 32ppl for LPG ... it made loads of sense .... I could drive a V8 for 2.5 times less than a 2.7 diesel.
I've not filled the Jeep for a month .... last time I did it was maybe 65ppl (maybe more) ...no idea what it is now, but I'd guess more.

I was an avid LPG'er but no more.... diesel is the way to go.

But we're being royally f**k'd by everyone at the moment.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also seem to find it odd how the price varies. Previously motorway services were always more expensive. Not any more as I found out over the weekend.

2 Local garages near work are 82.9p/l while motorway services (warwick on the M40) was 77.9p/l

Lack of consistency is frustrating as well

·
Registered
90 Posts
We use the stuff for heating. A year ago it was 32 p per litre. The delivery i just had was at 49.8 p per litre. Two years ago it was less than 30p. That's with no road fuel duty of course. It's gone up much more than the price of oil. Someone's making a huge profit but dunno who. Our supplier says they just put their price up as the price to them rises. Maybe it's the oil compan ies??? GGGrrrrr.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
We have an LPG tank fitted at our ski lake for our ski boat.

£20 adaptor for same fitting as LPG cars but no fuel duty I:
Shame I have a diesel - it was less than 50p a litre, but 55p with rental of the tank based on 1000lt/mnth which is easy when sharing it with a lake full of V8 Ski boats!

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
I usually hark on about how historically we vote in parties which promise low taxes, which i believe is the route cause of shortages in the public sector. This year for the first time the country voted for a party who didn't promise anything of the sort, in fact they stated times we get tough to sort out the debt. This is what the country voted for (not me mind)

Time to move to E85 bioethanol

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The 20p duty relief applied at the mo on bio fuels is due to be withdraw in april so that puts the kibosh on that.
Solar is what we need, but no doubt, there will be a sun tax as soon as solar cars become viable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts