VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post on here and first time camper project so any tips are greatly appreciated!

I picked up the 2001 LT32 for fairly decent money. Van had previously been lived in for a couple years and basically parked up for the past year.
Previous owner parked by the sea so quite bit of surface rust, bottom of driver door and one rear door needs some work, sills and arches are in good shape.

Engine wise, there’s only 150k on the clock, 1 small oil leak to be fixed, a good service and fingers crossed she will be on the button.

Quicksilver stickers removed and Started sanding back some rust and filling the doors, found 2 small holes on the roof that needed filling too.

3 press doors need replacing and some of the carpet on the walls has started to peel back -hoping tech 7 will sort that.

20293883-FE8D-4EFE-A420-53C796B5AC0B.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roof needed a good run through and the small holes filled.

need to remove excess glue from the stickers and get the body ready for primer. Going to matte black Schutz the whole way around - thinking to the top of the wheel arch or slightly higher.

Getting it over the pit this evening - Can hear a slight blow coming from the exhaust and might as well clean and seal everything while I’m down there.

Full service being done tomorrow, along with pads and a few other bits. New battery put in by previous owner just before sale but has been sluggish to start. Hoping is only a filter or fuel line problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front disks and pads replaced - Badly needed!Handbrake has been fixed too.

Next jobs are to tackle the wheels - sand them down, prime and paint back to the original silver or black. Pic is from the spare, which somehow had a new tyre on it. Thinking of hiring a sand blaster to get it done right.

Holes in the exhaust aren’t as bad as I thought - don’t fancy any cutting and welding unless it’s really needed. Going to try a exhaust repair kit or cut a slip of pipe to size and jubilee clip it in place.

Still no sign of VRT centres being open so loads of time to get her ready for the first outing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4/5 wheels have been sanded, primed and re painted black - not as much work in them as I thought

started to Schutz the body, will most likely bring it up a bit higher and possibly do the roof too?

Next up is glue removal and sand back and of the rust spots around the body - previous owner used white hammerite on some spots which looks awful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slowly getting there...back doors and a few other bits need sanding and painting. Happy with the schutz results!

Sticker glue took a few hours to remove but definitely worth the hardship.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts