VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 446 Posts

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I've bored you with my thoughts of buying an LT. Now I have actually bought one, it is time to bore you all with the conversion :D

So the base vehicle is a 2003 VW LT46 LWB and fitted with the 2.8L 158BHP engine.

ParkedUp by David, on Flickr

Currently registered as a 16 seat seat Minibus, but will re-register as a Private HGV as soon as I get the V5C back in my name and ultimately as a Campervan once conversion is far enough along to qualify.

Insured (through A-Plan like my T5 and T4 were T: ) for myself and Mrs H to drive, but I can't see her driving the LT when comparing against her regular drive
HisampHers by David, on Flickr
(this is the LT on probably its first visit to Scotland! Photo taken at Carter Bar)

The LT LWB should offer a good level of extra space over my current T5 LWB. This photo shows the difference in length when I park the two side by side and lining up the B Pillars of the vans.
Length-LTvT5 by David, on Flickr
As an everyday driver or go anywhere camper, the T5 would win hands down for sure, no contest, but over the last few years of owning the T5 and T4 before that, I don't think there has been anywhere where I have gone where I could not have driven the LT, but for many other people that is not the case (not least in parking at home - most typical driveways are not 7 metres long!) and for that, the transporters rock and rule :cool:

Initial work will focus on the exterior. The van is very clean, especially for the age, but it does have spots of rust on edges, guttering and corners, so that will get cleaned up, treated and painted.
And as well as that, engine service and checkover as well is high on the list.
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres I will be servicing before this vehicle becomes a full-on camper, but they are safe as is so will wait on that one until later in the day.

Got some nice ideas for the internal layout and external appearance and features, but they will be revealed as time goes on ;)

Mrs H is keen to be involved in the design and build of the camper, especially as the LT bears her initials :cool: And also is keen to record the build-out on our facebook page and probably a YouTube channel as well (I tend to stick to forums but she loves Facebook, Instagram, etc)

But straight away there are three things that will happen ...
1) Seats and Unwin clamps out (advert already posted here but noew got the van, eBay and Gumtree advert will be coming, so if interested, get in quick!)
2) 6 Wheel TPMS system fitted. Great believer in TPMS and as checking the inner tyres of a dually is a PITA, having a 6 wheel TPMS makes total sense to me at very little money
3) Whip out the original Radio/Cassette player and fit something from this millenium Rasp: I understand space is very limited, so not sure exactly what I will be fitting, but I have the choice of a very nice Alpine Radio/CD unit (the CDE-178BT) if space permits, or if not not, I have a Pioneer MVH-X370BT which is a mechless Head Unit but still with great Android integration - both units fitted with my Drive/Camping switch kit of course ;)

This will be a camper on a budget, so don't expect the fancy super lightweight ply etc, but I think will look cool :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the 6-wheel club :).

Will follow this with interest.

BTW. I use one of these to monitor the tyre pressures on my LT46:- Snooper Tyre Pilot STP116 TPMS 6 wheel set.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the 6-wheel club :).

Will follow this with interest.

BTW. I use one of these to monitor the tyre pressures on my LT46:- Snooper Tyre Pilot STP116 TPMS 6 wheel set.
Cheers :) you should update your build thread as well T:

I plumped for one of these ... CARCHET RV Trailer Car Solar TPMS I like the Solar Recharging feature on that one A:

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking forward to this mate.

T5 doing ok? Up for sale yet?

When you in town again?
T5 back on the driveway and taking to Biggar this weekend T:

Will make a great buy for someone with the no-expense spared service radio record (new Turbo, DPF, DMF, clutch and Camshaft in last few years as well as the usual stuff) and camper fitments including mega Electric install (battery bank, solar array, PDU, B2B setup, 1000W Inverter, etc etc ) plus Eberspacher heater, full screen radio and backup camera, Brand new alloys and tyres.
The list goes on and on :)

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, going to make a start on the LT this weekend and need to start with some basic 'housekeeping' stuff....

Front Doors
The front doors are not original to the van. the previous users had a requirement for Green doors and the seller swapped doors with plain white rather then respray. This is fair enough, but they are sitting a little too low.
How do I adjust the height so the lock is central on the catch? I see lots of torx head bolts. Any used specifically for height adjustment or is it a matter of loosening, lifting and tightening?

Door Cards
Any tips on removing? Window Winder handle?
Need to remove these to get some central locking wiring installed. Think I am going to go for the Wolf kit. Not decided if I get the kit with the alarm included or not? Inclined for none-alarm version.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing done yet as weather 'orrible :(

but got another question ...
Wheels
so my LT is a dually running 15" wheels and tyres. At sometime before I start using in ernest I will need to get new tyres. Also the wheels look typically manky.

Not that interested in bothering with Alloys, so the options I am thinking are:
1) Get new 15" Tyres - I favour the Michelin Camping Tyres (but I am also considering going for a chunkier off-road type of tyre).
If I go for this option, then I will need to refurb the existing steel wheels. Blasting and Powdercoating will be around the £200 mark. I could go for a 'manual' cleanup and wetpaint myself which will be around £30 in materials but take ages.
2) Get new 16" Wheels and Tyres. This will give me a better look and fill out the lost arches nicely as well. Seems to be a popular option in the US on the older (T1N) Sprinters. Brand new wheels seem to run around the same as getting the old wheels refurbed, so looks to be the better option.​

So the question is ... do I need a specific type of wheel to suit a dually setup? When looking at listings on eBay for 16" Sprinter and Crafter wheels, they tend to say "not for twin wheels". What is special about wheels for duallys?
oh, and are Sprinter Wheels and Crafter wheels the same? And suitable for LTs?

Not in a rush for these, but if I spot what looks like a good deal, like to know whether to jump on it or not :D

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Hoovie, I could be wrong here but I think Crafter and Sprinter may be 6 stud from 06 on. Your LT will be 5 I think?

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hoovie, I could be wrong here but I think Crafter and Sprinter may be 6 stud from 06 on. Your LT will be 5 I think?
As I understand it the "normal" LT is 5 stud as you say, but the dual rear wheel LT is the 6 stud variety (which I why I think the later wheels seem popular on the older dual wheel sprinters (and I think the LT uses same hubs as 1st gen sprinter?)

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I'm lookibg forward to seeing it i the flesh. I will be I touch this week about your service parts hopefully.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T:

Just did some more web searching and out with a tape measure ....
I'd already found out that the VW LT is the same essentially as the Mk 1 Sprinter by Mercedes (and Prodrive and Dodge in the US) and is part of the "T1N" family (in the same way that the Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Relay and Fiat Ducato are part of the "Sevel" van family).
And the Crafter and current Sprinter is in the "NCV3" family.

The wheels are interchangeable between T1N and NCV3 vans, but ONLY between 6 wheel models (I didn't realise that!)
The LTs 4-wheel models are 5x130mm PCD and the Crafter 4-wheel models are 6x130mm PCD, so no swapping over there.
The LT 6-wheel model is a weird 6x205mm PCD and so is the Crafter 6-wheel van. (Just confirmed this with a tape on my LT).

So least that clears up what I need to look for :)

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
LT Electrics

Not looked in any detail yet, but thought I would post a picture and see what other LT owners have under their hood :D

These are the connections to the Starter Battery ....
LT-Battery-12V
by David, on Flickr
I think the "original" high-current cable to the starter is the one at the top left, but there are lots of other pretty thick power cables coming off the 12V pole.
What cables do other 2.8L LT owners have?
my LT is a minibus but doesn't have any major electrical extras. 3 or 4 roof-mounted lights, bright spotlight at the rear door and a hydraulic lift. No aux battery or heater I have spotted.

I suspect the rear lift is powered via the right-most 12V lead (one with the tape peling off and the resettable fuse as shown below...
LT-Battery-ResetFuse
by David, on Flickr

But the others?
Interested as I am thinking I can use either the Ramp lead or the lead left-most for the split-charge and save running yet another lesd to the battery :eek: (those two certainly look chunky enough to cope :cool: )

1 - 20 of 446 Posts