VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 446 Posts

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Photobucket have suddenly changed their Terms of Service without notice a few days ago and have gone from allowing the use of 3rd party linking by the use of IMG tags (and encouraging this by providing ready-made IMG links) for over a decade to actively disallowing them unless $400 a year is paid for the privilege.
So until I have moved my photos to another service (Flickr seems to be the best option at the moment) and edited all my posts, the photos will not be easily visible. :(
Fortunately not many pictures on this build thread as hardly started, but still damn annoying! Wish PB a slow, costly and painful death!!

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Yes, I have become increasingly unhappy with Photobucket over recent months and this is the final nail in the coffin! Problem is, all those historical links will now disappear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had a photobucket account for years. I'd agree that recently the service seems bloated, over-burdened with adverts and increasingly slow and unresponsive.

I haven't however, been hit with the 3rd-party hosting issues that others have seen blighting their service. If this happens, I'll also be cancelling my account.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've had a photobucket account for years. I'd agree that recently the service seems bloated, over-burdened with adverts and increasingly slow and unresponsive.

I haven't however, been hit with the 3rd-party hosting issues that others have seen blighting their service. If this happens, I'll also be cancelling my account.
It will, believe me. they are going through accounts and eventually will get to you.
I have three accounts and one appears ok still but won't stay that way I am sure.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Right, going to make a start on the LT this weekend and need to start with some basic 'housekeeping' stuff....

Front Doors
The front doors are not original to the van. the previous users had a requirement for Green doors and the seller swapped doors with plain white rather then respray. This is fair enough, but they are sitting a little too low.
How do I adjust the height so the lock is central on the catch? I see lots of torx head bolts. Any used specifically for height adjustment or is it a matter of loosening, lifting and tightening?

Door Cards
Any tips on removing? Window Winder handle?
Need to remove these to get some central locking wiring installed. Think I am going to go for the Wolf kit. Not decided if I get the kit with the alarm included or not? Inclined for none-alarm version.
Well .... "This Weekend turned into "today" :cool:

Adjusting the door was easy, but definately a two-person job as one needed to tighten up the bolts while the other keeps it lifted T:
I just loosened all the bolts slightly, lifted the door up as high as possible and then my OH tightened up all the bolts. That then caused the door to catch at the front on a screw, so loosened just the bottom bolts again, pulled out door and she tightened up again .... Perfect :db Door closes spot on with a push of a little finger :D
Need to repeat with Passenger Door next time I have enough access (parked up close to tree and fence right now).

Inside was a bit musty and smelly , so before I started stripping down the seats, I used an AutoSmart BLAST air freshener which transformed it :ILU:
I am just mentioning this for anyone who is not familiar with "BLAST". a 1/2 second shot in the vehicle, shut the door and leave for 5 minutes and any horrible odours are just gone. It is utterly fantastic stuff. with the LT I did a 2 second shot as it has such a large interior AND was smelly, and it did the trick. not cheap to buy at around £5 for an aerosol, but you use so little, it works out cheaper then 99p jobbies that you have to spray around for 10 seconds.
anyway. enough of that advert for AutoSmart Rasp:

On Saturday (waited for 1st of the month as I am mean) I tried to change the tax rate from a Private/LGV to a Private/HGV and get taxed. You can only do this at the Post Office according to the DVLA, but the Post Office couldn't do this (I am guessing as the vehicle type was still Minibus with 16 seats). So I have sent off the V5C back to DVLA changing the vehicle type to "Van with Windows" and 7 seats which should allow a reclassification to Private/HGV (HGVs can have up to 8 seats). I need the Private bit as otherwise the Tachograph can come into play as over 3.5t.
So took out a DD for tax anyway at the higher rate of £240, which is an extra £8 a month compared to when it is a Private/HGV at £165, which slightly annoys but hopefully for just the one month.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just started up the old bus this morning ... first time since I brought it home middle of May (so around 7 weeks now). Running on first turn of the key J:
Now admittedly I have had the CTEK charger on the battery for the last 2 weeks in recon mode, but that is reasonable enough.

Drove around 5 miles with 17 seats inside. Drove another 5 miles with 5 seats fitted. The difference with the reduced weight was pretty noticable I reckon. An empty LT with a 158BHP engine is quite a nippy old beast :D

Now the rear is fairly clear (I have kept 2 of the minibus seats at this stage just in case they might have some use if my interior design changes), I will be able to make a start of having a clean out, removing panels, doing some measuring, etc.

One of the definate things I am doing is replacing the original seats with a pair of single swivels from a Ford Galaxy. Got the seats a couple of weeks ago and the next step was sourcing a single seat base, which arrived a couple of days ago T:
I'm a bit surprised how small the LT/Sprinter seat base actually is! This is a picture of the LT drivers seat base alongside a T5 Drivers seat base:
LT vs T5 Bases by David, on Flickr
I was thinking it would be a good location for a nice big battery, but not sure now :*

This is the T5 base with a foam cutout representing the battery I install on T5s for underseat mounting. Quite a tight fit really
T5 Base by David, on Flickr

But same foam on the LT base ...
LT Base 2 by David, on Flickr

It certainly doesn't fit widthwise, although not a problem lengthwise:
LT Base by David, on Flickr
and only a couple of cm higher as well.
So need to find out what battery WILL fit in there to give me a decent capacity (running 200Ah on the T5 and that works very nicely, so would like similar or more), or alternatively work out best uses for underseat space?
Thinking Consumer Unit? Inverter? Battery Charger? Split Charger, Solar Controlled, Amperor Associates PI/25? (not sure if fitting one of these or not yet? great units, great value, but limited to 200W of solar and I am thinking got enough roof space to go bigger).
Lots of kit all vying for space there.
Drivers side I am thinking Eberspacher again in the seat base void. That works great there in the T5, so thinking just do same again :)

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Offered up the Galaxy seats to the Base today...
Mounting holes are very close but not close enough to work without adjustment :( talking 10mm difference at the back in total and 10mm difference side to side centre-to-centre
So enlarged the (already large) runner holes to around 16mm at the front and 20mm at the rear. This allows the bolts to drop into the existing base mounting points which is good as that uses welded captive nuts, but I need to make some plates with an offside M8 hole to go over the enlarged holes to secure the bolt and runner.

These are the seats I bought ....
Galaxy Seats by David, on Flickr

Double-checked as soon as got the seat on a firm base today and the swivel (which the seller didn't know it had!) works great T:
There are some threads around showing how to adapt for the swivel to go inwards instead of out by cutting a couple of lugs. A quick look at the seat and I am currently wary about this as the mod does seem to take a lot of metal off the seatbelt buckle receiver, so going to leave that until I look at it a lot more closely!

Fixed the passenger door as well so that closes nicely same as drivers T: Talking of drivers door, had a rattle and when I looked at this today, found that it was just two screws on a catch needed tightening - so now all good A: except .....
Saw something a bit weird when I took the lower trim cover off to fix
Drivers Door by David, on Flickr

What a weird place for rust :eek:
Only on the inside. No apparent reason for those two rusty bits. It is surface only when I poke a screwdriver in it, but clearly has been rusty and spreading for a long time :* Bit of Krust on there initially, then prep and paint will fix that, but most strange.
Took the same panel off the passenger door to compare and nothing untoward there at all. Might be worth a quick check for other LT owners?

Was going to replace the radio today as well, but couldn't find my U-tools to remove the old one, so will just wait until a new pair arrive via eBay or Amazon :cool:

Radio will be one of these two guys:
Radios by David, on Flickr

Alpine preferably, but if too long, will drop the Pioneer unit in instead (it is mechless, so a lot shorter). whichever radio does not get fitted in the dash will likely get installed in the back so I can listen to radio or stream audio easily when in bed :ILU:

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Installed the new radio yesterday morning. Found I had to do a Bluetooth update for it to recognise my mobile phone, but eventually got it sorted T:
LT-Alpine by David, on Flickr
Also ate my own dog food of course ;) (in other words, installed with one of my Drive/Camping radio looms so I can use without the keys :D )
Next to the 3-way switch is a USB port socket (these will shortly be available pre-installed on T5 dash blanks ready to fit alongside the Drive/Camping selector switch T: )
FYI - Unlike the typical VW vehicles of the same vintage with ISO connectors, the permanent +12V and Ignition +12V lines are not reversed, so you don't need to swap any cables around.

And then got a pair of new keys from Timpsons in the afternoon A: . One Programmed with the immobiliser, and a second plain key cut to open the front doors. (I'm always nervous when I only have a single key for a vehicle, so rule #1 for me is get a spare ASAP!).
Prices gone up a little from a few years ago though. A programmed key for Doris, my old T4 was £30, and for the LT it was £45, but then only £7 for the plain one.
Last year paid £110 for a folding fully-programmed remote key plus 'surf key' for the T5 at a show, so quite possible I could have saved a bit by waiting until next month for that show again, but didn't want to risk it by waiting another month :eek: (paranoia or what! LOL: ).
FWIW, the Timpsons guy didn't have the right VW blanks the system told him he needed, but when he checked in the book, it directed him to the Mercedes blanks, which makes sense as the LT is a Sprinter body, which he DID have on the board and did the job.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
BTW, I fitted some Alpine SPG-10C2 dash speakers in mine and am seriously impressed! (also running Alpine DAB headunit)
I noticed the speakers were not that outstanding to say the least :( . 10C2 Straight swap over?

I had this head unit in my T4 and paired it with some Rockford-Fosgate R14x2 speakers and that sounded nice, so was thinking of getting same again, but always interesting to try something new.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Yes, I used a bit of silicon putty to hold them in place as the OE ones have spring clips on them. Well worth doing, these are the best dash speakers that I have ever heard.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Coming along mate!

I'm home Sunday and will get your stuff sorted, PM me the list again.
Will do T:

Working from Front to Rear in the LT. At least that way I wil be able to use the vehicle while the conversion is being sorted out :)
Removed the Double Seat (took a little time to work out how exactly!). Amazing amount of detrius! My previous T4 and T5s were certainly more cared for. I guess it is just to the type of vehicle and type of passengers (chewing gum eating schoolkids :blg )
But cleaned up reasonably easily, so not all bad :ILU:

Bought a Sprinter Drivers Seat Base for the new passenger seat. Unlike a T5 or a T5, the bases are handed.
The front bolt holes are the same but the rear ones are staggered, with the inboard pair being further forward then the outboard pair. Couple of minutes with a step drill sorted one side, but will need to get a plate to fit on the outboard ones and clamp down the base corner. Simple enough to do and it is worth getting and modifying a drivers base rather then paying a lot more for a passenger single.
Offered up the base in the passenger position and as mentioned by others, I see no problem with the handbrake support being left, and in fact I will use one of the handbrake mounting locations for the lower seatbelt mounting position (it is a very robust part, so I am sure plenty strong enough)

Base was solid enough but a bit scrappy...
Sprinter Drivers Base by David, on Flickr

I thought these white bases look a bit industrial, so thought I would do a little bit of painting :cool:

This is the original Drivers base, resprayed in Anthracite. The colour chosen as it was what I happened to have available in a pot :D , but also I plan on getting an Anthracite coloured cab mat so it should work nicely together :)
Respraying Base - 3 by David, on Flickr

And the other drivers base with the colour coat drying off under an IR Lamp.
Respraying Base - 1 by David, on Flickr

Laid on the clear coat and just waiting for it to harden up before fitting into place (might be tomorrow, might give it an extra day)
Resprayed Bases curing by David, on Flickr

Pleased with the colour and while a minor tweak, I think leaving the bases as was would spoil the interior once conversion done, so a worthwhile mod A:

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Oh I didn't realise you got a rhd driver seat base to fit! Whenever I offered advice on mine, I was talking about the driver seat base out of a lhd van, with the handbrake bracket facing the middle of the van! It was a straight fit with the bolt holes.

I got mine from ebay.de, and much cheaper than a single passenger base over here.

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I never looked on ebay.de actually (might do so now out of curiosity :) )
UK drivers on left side should work fine. The slight angling of base to the inside rather than outside won't make much difference and might make the swivel easier as a little further from the B Pillar
Just looked on ebay.de .... left hand seat base with handbrake mount: €80 plus postage; right hand seat base with handbrake mount (I.e. imported UK Drivers): €200!

I'm happy with my £40 purchase T:

·
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Not a very exciting update, just some cleaning basically ...

The cab was pretty mucky, so stripped out the lower trim and mat and gave it a good clean
Cab Stripped by David, on Flickr

Trim back - G101 did a good job on this T:
And Mat Back - this was a bit tougher as likely the first time it had a wash in 14 years :rolleyes: But using some strong wheel cleaner, and then my Autosmart Vortex Pressure Cleaner, it came out not looking bad
Trim and Mat Refitted by David, on Flickr
Not looking new by any means, but it has zero dirt left on it T:

And then the freshly painted seat bases get bolted down and handbrake reattached :cool:
Seat Bases Refitted by David, on Flickr

21 - 40 of 446 Posts