VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i recently bought my first lt its a 28 with the 83bhp tdi engine, 05 reg. as a precaution I got all the belts ,idlers water pump etc changed . The garage just marked up the pulleys and replaced the belts, it starts fine and pulls well but has a buzzing noise from around the gearstick that wasn't there before so I'm assuming it's the back end of the engine,also I've noticed the engine does a little shimmy as it comes back to idle (never noticed that before) he assures me the timing is bang on, question is can it be or does it need fine tuned with vagcom?,van drove perfectly before belts done

·
Registered
619 Posts
Does the buzzing happen when your changing gear or is it there all the time . I have it when I change gear and have been told nothing to worry about its just a common noise on LTs and sprinters

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I also have that buzz , this one is new and is there when you Rev the engine,just wondered if the timing being a fraction out would cause a noise, probably didn't describe it well as a buzz maybe more of a whine

·
Registered
619 Posts
My noise is when I go to select a gear and am moving the gearstick. I can't feel anything just got a slight buzzing/ rubbing / grinding

·
Registered
138 Posts
couple of things, when you brought the belts did you get the idler`s for the back belt (pump), and do you know for sure they changed the rear belt + idlers, these idler`s on the back belt can give a squeal like noise if they go or not changed with belt, the noise is similar to like a metal cover vibrating on the exhaust which goes to a squeal as the revs go up,

they do need the pump timing doing with the vagcom as it needs to be spot on to run right, they will run with out it being done that way, but, not run quite right.

with the shake, keep a eye on this, the crank damper pully can give this sympton when its showing signs of giving up, they would have had to take this off to do the belts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that,the pump belt and idler were definitely changed, I think it just needs a fine tune, he's going to take another look at it for me, it's not a squeal so hopefully nothing serious

1 - 6 of 6 Posts