VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
For us the season is over so time to think about what we found over the past 2 years.
So far
1. Seats need a proper cover now. The throws were a makeshift.
2. Toilet room needs a proper makeover. Sink possibly I dont know yet. New porta potty in there.
3. Going for a simple 2 plug socket mains electrical hook-up just in case.
4. Permanent under van grey water waste tank
5. Watching Hoovie and his heater on his build. Yep one of them diesel heater jobbies to fit. So to extend our season a bit.
6. Hook up my gas fridge, was hot this year. Next year if its the same I want a choc ice on standby. I was thinking about a compressor one. No way can I justify 500 quid for a tub of butter and a choc ice.
7. Seal the roof completely with liquid rubber. I think I found the last of the leaks but damage has been done to one of the wall's lino. Have to cut that off scrub behind where the mould has grown and recover it.
8. Finally time for the next spring respray

Overall though the spacious design and white units have proved a hit. So not really much to do in that department.
Shall be getting stuck in soon enough. So updates and more pictures as we go along.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well Amber is back on the road. 3 months of sorting the handbrake. I finally gave in and asked a mate of mine to free the hub bolts. I was swinging on a 12 foot scaffold bar like a deranged gorilla just couldn't budge them. He burned them out in no time. Got to love the Oxy Acetylene. Yep the disks are a bit sad, in this picture

he saved them for me. Put them on his spinner and now nice smooth and shiny like new.

Course it's getting cold so thing is a pig to start in the mornings. I was going to buy a plug in for the ambulance socket keep the battery topped up but worked out at 89 quid with the socket and waterproof cable. Paid 99 for a Lith Ion jump starter that can go with me anywhere.
Now the fun begins sort that roof leak and get her ready for March. March actually isn't that far away really when you start work on these things.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Actually saw a you tube video which made me say Gotta get on of those. Wonder who made that?:D

Wish mine was as easy as a knackered battery. Got a big ol bosh on there, tried other batteries, charges OK, starter seems ok, but as soon as it gets cold, it's a one turn wonder. My plan was only to use the van in the summer and use the car in the winter but seeing that the mice have had a good ol chew under the bonnet of the ol Rover 75 that ones going for spares at some point soon.
So battery pack seemed like a great idea.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And so the pre season work begins. Shortly after the coffee I'm slurping away at. I'll be under the ol girl putting on a nice shiny new exhaust.
Had to have the bracket mounting welded on seeing that it was in the wrong place and have a new sidepipe made. 220 quid for the right one for the van with side pipe. 50 quid for the one without the side pipe that fits the van that hoovie pointed me to. No brainer there. Thanks also there to my mate who can weld.
Then it's time to get the inside sorted, got some water damage to fix. It's a mess in there, quite a downer I'll put piccies up when I'm on that bit. I bought half gallon of boat resin to pour over where that leak in the roof is when it warms up a tad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Will do mate. Its virtually the same box in size right one for the van and well this one hasn't a whopping great hole in it. So got to be good.

Got a half finished job done. Had to use my angle grinder to cut a lump away from the old downpipe, yep got pipe to join up on that. bought an exhaust for the rover 3 years ago while it was on fleabay cheap. been in the shed for ages and as the rover is now dead its the right bore size pipe too but broke the disk, and you think I can find that spanner thing... nope. New one ordered be here tomorrow. Friday is the test day. AA is renewed on Thursday so hoping that isn't an omen. :gl

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Righty ho. That exhaust is super fine. Hardly hear the thing running in the drive now. Far better than the old one, a Breeze to fit too
So here we go. I wish it was still noisy. Road test for blowing noises with the window open, I heard tick, tick, tick from the front drivers wheel. Ahh that's a new one. Stops when I brake does and doesn't do it until the speed picks up. Close the widow can't hear it.
Now the fun begins finding out what it is. Got as far as getting the jack under and the god of hailstones just will not quit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Happy days, well kind of. No more ticking from the wheel. Probably a stone or stick. It went as quick as it started.

Had a look around inside earlier. That water leak has really done a number on the insides much worse than I thought. Going to cost a few 10 quid notes and some time to get it all sorted again.

But I learn from mistakes. When sealing a hole a fibreglass roof. Sikaflex with a sheet of van body plastic is not the way to go. It might last a season but that's about it. Do it properly with boat resin and fibreglass mat.T:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Time for an update. Weather was quite good today so I began sorting the roof leak out, As I said before I found the problem, self tappers holding down thick plastic body material covered with sika flex didn't cut it, Stripped the whole lot off today. Sorry didn't take the camera up with me so no pictures of a complete pigs ear I made of a fix, but believe me it was bad. But as this is my first go at this conversion lark I learn by mistakes.
For the record though my hasty repair with gorilla tape was still bone dry under the one corner I did.

Tomorrow I'm going up with the boat resin, put new stiff plastic sheet on there and fibreglass matt over the whole lot. Solar panel will be going over the repair so I'm not fussed about neatness, just want it watertight. Not intending selling the ol girl on so its good for me. Now gorilla tape, my new favourite thing. Already covered the hole with that today. I'll do pictures of the repair tomorrow to post hopefully it will be done once and for all.

But here's the damage pictures. I'll sort this when the leaks done and isn't as bad as I first thought. Got one of those Chinese diesel heaters on the way at the least it'll help dry the thing out. Once that's all done intending to head out on a miserable day and night for a real test. Well its Scotland. Won't have long to wait for miserable weather.

Oh yeah the tablet on the wall took a pasting and died, Thinking of putting a real 12v TV in now but dunno about how they run on pure battery power with no mains hook ups. Still looking into that bit.

Not so bad washed off but shows the drippage.

Inside the cupboard after ripping the insides out

Some of the insides. Yep bad.

Mould has to be cut out scrubbed behind and recovered.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Made good progress today. Took the photos from the bedroom window don't want to get gunge all over my phone.
So as you see in the first picture heres the gorilla tape. Under that, in the hole I've packed it with some foam insulation sheet.
Then covered the lot with Van body plastic. Have to wait until tomorrow before I do the overkill with the fibreglass matting, Getting a bit to chilly for resin now. but its all sealed down with resin so I'm hoping right now its watertight already.

Now that hole was an extractor vent, yes I could have kept it but it was damn ugly, too noisy and only worked when the engine was on, anyhow it was where I wanted the solar panels. Not having 2 going back up you can see the brackets, Just the one will do what I need.
Hindsight says I could have changed the fan put a switch on it and cut a hole in the ceiling inside. But nope not now. Not going to keep changing things just make minor convenience tweaks.

For the eagle eyes. That black thing is a pair of tights over the ait vent, Keeps the midges oot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update on the leak. When it rained a couple of days ago I happily rushed into the van to check if my 3 day repair worked. Looked in the cupboard that has a nice shiny plastic bottom, I'm working on the rest of the insides of that, and lo and behold. Yep one or two drips of rusty brown water.
So ever so slightly miffed, actually I scared the birds away and profanities could be heard echoing around the mountains. Up I went again, sealed all the caulking on the roof with that expensive white splodge in a tube. All around the aerials, vents and anywhere else water could potentially get in. Waited a day, went up with a hose and soaked the lot. Nothing not even a damp tissue.
Went in today after a really mild shower outside. There it was again not the same place but a few inches along, this must be a really slight hole seeping through and taking it's time.

Waiting for the dry days again, I don't know whether to paint the whole lot with liquid rubber, meaning I have to strip away all that sikaflex I put up ( apparently instructions say it wont stick to silicone) or keep trying to nail it.:*

But while I'm Waiting for the dry have to work out why my split charger is only charging one of the two rear batteries. Stuck a meter on there no charge coming through on one of the circuits. Right now I wish I ripped out all those ambulance electrics and put my own system in. I'll chalk that as a mistake not to do again if I help anyone do one of these ambulance to campervan things. Hoping it's a fuse or a duff relay but that fuse board behind the passage seat has literally hundreds in there. Ohh the fun. See how it goes if its not a fuse, during next winter I'll rip it all out and start fresh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Pain isn't it upspex. I was going to go up today and do more resin but really cant be bothered today. Was thinking about what you just said when I was walking my dog.
Now I have two options it's either buy some liquid rubber which I found on amazon and do the whole roof and have done with it once and for all or buy one of these.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
I have the same problem. Trouble is, water travels and it can be a nightmare finding the exact point of ingress.
It can indeed! I had a house where there was a waterfall inside the French Windows in heavy rain and could not find the cause. eventually spotted a tiny chip in the wall render around 6 foot from the door edge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well its payday tomorrow so decided to buy the liquid rubber. You've both made my mind up. It could be getting in somewhere I haven't even thought of. She's having a respray soon so may as well rubber the roof and save some paint.
I did think of the bucket I was thinking of getting a new up to date chemical toilet in there when I finish the toilet room. Wonder if the boss will go for a bucket. It's cheaper.

Now electrics, I have no clue where the split charger is on this beastie. Let alone the relay. Found the air suspension control tucked away under my seat loads more unknown and unmarked fuses and relays but thats about it. The ones for the actual van workings are under the passenger seat and all marked with a nice chart.
I found the air suspension doesn't run off the ambulance aux batteries so I'm good to go sooooo :cool:

I'm in decision mode today, so I'll use it the best I can this year and have a mooch about here and there see if I can find it.

Already did a quick switch of where my wires go to the batteries. We only do 2 nights tops a time so my 110 ah battery on the side that doesn't charge can hold it for that. Even without charging it'll be fine. But I'll use the one that charges for my phone charging, heater and so on. The side that doesn't charge will just help power my interior lights, Only really use one that isn't on for long so the other battery should hold. Take candles and one of those hand charged LED light things I used to use in my tent. Just in case the lights get cut off, the relay wherever it is does that, and wire the whole lot up with my own system in the winter. 90% of it is done already. Its only the lighting that uses the ambulance circuit. All I will have to do is run the lights to the new system put in a new split charger sorted.

Now heres an unless, Unless I can just whip off the ambulance power leads for the one side that doesn't charge, and link the 2 batteries together with cables. :confused:

Actually will feel better next year knowing where things are. I can fix problems faster.

Yes there is a map for this lot, I'm not touching all this, I'm leaving it well alone. Just bypassing the inside lights and ignoring it all. My aircon and all sorts are connected to this jobbie.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts