VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
Well had a bit of a mishap and the exhaust snapped. Not at a point where I can join it either. its snapped right tight to the centre box.
Now this one I have LT46 2.8 diesel has the centre box with the exhaust coming out of the side of the van.
Can't for the life of me find the replacement. I've tried for hours.
It was an old ambulance but isn't a standard VW system. No it doesn't look custom so I was wondering Sprinter? Crafter? any other vans use a side exhaust I can buy and make it fit?
Pointers appreciated.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,008 Posts
Hi folks.
Well had a bit of a mishap and the exhaust snapped. Not at a point where I can join it either. its snapped right tight to the centre box.
Now this one I have LT46 2.8 diesel has the centre box with the exhaust coming out of the side of the van.
Can't for the life of me find the replacement. I've tried for hours.
It was an old ambulance but isn't a standard VW system. No it doesn't look custom so I was wondering Sprinter? Crafter? any other vans use a side exhaust I can buy and make it fit?
Pointers appreciated.
my exhaust is also side exit and is a standard body. It has either a VW or Mercedes logo embossed on it as well.

I'd be inclined to go to a non-franchise exhaust place. I bet you could get one made easily enough.
Also try PP Tuning - they know about exhausts and are on the forum.

·
8,008 Posts
New centre silencer ordered but I decided to remove the old one in the middle of a rugby field in Redcar rather then risk the front bouncing down and ripping off on the 120 mile drive home and causing any damage to my vehicle (or other road users!)
And when removed I saw the short rear pipe was also a bit past it with the rear hanger being repaired previously, so need to find a new rear section which is proving a challenge (think maybe the standard pipe is rear exit and mine was a side exit option due to having a hydraulic wheelchair lift fitted originally?)
Thinking I might have to either:
a) revert to a long rear exit pipe (but do I have the hanger mount? maybe removed when lift fitted? and also have a small grey water tank fitted where the lift partly was, so could foul?
b) get a section of pipe fabricated? This might be the best option as the pipe length is so short it shoul be easy to do and could make a support pretty easily I reckon? just the short pipe right of the hanger and bracket here ....

LT 2.8 Exhaust Side Exit
by David, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I'm just having the same problem, the exhaust snapped at the junction with the silencer and is now resting on the subframe. I'm tempted to get a custom stainless pipe made, maybe a shorter section with a side exit. Also, it doesn't sound awful without a silencer, so I might not bother!

·
8,008 Posts
I'm just having the same problem, the exhaust snapped at the junction with the silencer and is now resting on the subframe. I'm tempted to get a custom stainless pipe made, maybe a shorter section with a side exit. Also, it doesn't sound awful without a silencer, so I might not bother!
The final bit of the puzzle with mine is here .... https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6533293&postcount=446

Mine went at the entrance to the silencer and it not only sounded way too loud (I drove a Subaru WRX once for about 10 miles and gave me a headache - this was worse and drove it for 120 miles home) but the responsiveness was poor as well.
Out the other end it made little difference so I would say a side exit like mine would be fine compared to a rear exit pipe?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The final bit of the puzzle with mine is here .... https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6533293&postcount=446

Mine went at the entrance to the silencer and it not only sounded way too loud (I drove a Subaru WRX once for about 10 miles and gave me a headache - this was worse and drove it for 120 miles home) but the responsiveness was poor as well.
Out the other end it made little difference so I would say a side exit like mine would be fine compared to a rear exit pipe?
That's interesting, that's exactly where mine has gone and it sounds fine apart from the pipe rattling on the subframe, and a wastegate noise that the boy racers would pay a lot of money for! Not really noticed any difference in driving either...

Edit: I've driven it a bit more now, and I think it was just the novelty factor! It sounds horrible!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm well late on this subject, been out and about in the ol wagon while it's actually working.
Winding down now for MOT Time. Got some work to do.
Righty ho peeps so hope alls fixed by now.
My side exhaust pipe added to the silencer, had a bit of old pipe from my rover 75 knocking about, had my mate weld that bit to the box as it was slightly different in bore size. Side exhaust hasn't given me any troubles. Might be noisy but as its always had a side vent. I wouldn't know any different.
Good points, still shoots about like the proverbial muck off a shovel and hasn't damaged my fuel economy. haha that bits a laugh, economy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts