VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T5 is a bit lumpy on start up when its cold - circa 0 degrees.
I keep the ignition on a few seconds after the glow plug light goes out, but still a bit lumpy.. I had this on my t4 which required the cold start lever and was fine with that out.

Whats the best route to fixing. Its an 06 with 120k on the clock
Its booked in for the cambelt change next week, is it likely to be timing? Its fine when warm...

Other than that whats the best route to go down diagnosing?
glow plugs, fuses / relays - does the T5 relay click off when its warm like the T4 one does?

Anything else?

Not a major problem but just like to have it running smooth :cool:

Cheers!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No resolution really, its been through a service since and no fault codes found.
I reckon it's a damp type issue as its worse when it's damp rather than plain cold.. And it's fine after a minute or so.. Also blows a bit of white smoke on startup.
Maybe something somewhere not quite right but I haven't found it yet :)
Let
Me know if you do!
Cheers

What happened with this? Mines doing it now. Bit rattley and shuddery after start up

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Is there a knocking too?

I just read that someone had this problem. Was a bent conrod causing misfire symptoms. Engine rebuild :(

Plus loads of people have it but no solutions! Only bent rod :) :(

I'll let you know

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I think I have the same as you, just have to start it making sure the glow plugs are on for a few seconds before turning the key never used to do that. just started it..

then when it starts like you I just leave that key on just that second more to make sure it helps it along.. starts fine then and just feels abit of a lump.. puff of white ish grey smoke and touch the revs it's fine..

two things come to mind I need to look at

Glow plugs

and injectors.. I am going to chuck in a couple of those bottle threatments to see if this helps quick fix for cheap..

if not I am personaly going to check glow plugs mines on 71k again 1.9 my 2.5 t5 starts with no effort totaly different vans on start up.. :*

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
mine was a worn camshaft operating the injector ,doubt a conrod issue TBH it aint easy to bend one

I had a cambelt snap on a 1.9 bent alot of valves and the conrods were fine ,new head tho :( that was back in 06

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine has fine the same thing for months, iv changed the glow
plugs and its had a full survice at vw, still the same. Anyone got abu ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts