VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few short years ago, Dubai was the epicenter of conspicuous consumption. Its mammoth hotels, opulent resorts and over-the-top shopping centers represented the manifestation of man's insatiable hunger for energy.

Today, with a global financial crisis underway and oil prices halved from their highs, even Dubai has fallen on hard times. As unemployment takes its toll, the number of abandoned vehicles has risen by 20%.

Luxury cars worth hundreds of thousands of dirhams can be found gathering dust on roadsides across Dubai, the remnants of the city-state’s economic boom that was brought to an abrupt halt by the global financial crisis.

The financial crisis forced many companies to slash jobs and those made redundant who had taken advantage of easy credit during the boom found themselves unable to meet car payments... Dubai Municipality said 1,476 vehicles were recovered in the year to July 31, compared to 1,227 during the same period in 2008...

...Throughout Dubai there are dust-covered cars with violation notices stuck to the windscreens, warning the owners that their vehicles will be removed in 15 days. Once removed the municipality stores them at the Al-Qusais scrap yard.

In a sand pit in one affluent Dubai neighbourhood, the Springs, a Land Rover Discovery sits motionless covered in dust with "another one bites the dust" written on a grimy side window...

...A few miles down the road in another residential district called Al-Barsha, a Porsche Boxster is parked with keys in the ignition. On the passenger seat are documents for a 144,000-dirham ($39,200) loan taken out at a Dubai bank.

The number of vehicles that have been abandoned in Dubai as become the stuff urban legend, with rumours of thousands of cars being dumped at the airport as debt-laden, high-flying execs flee the emirate after losing their jobs in the global financial crisis...

There is a "regular astonishing sight" at Dubai's international airport, says Mark Hollingsworth in ES Magazine: dozens of luxury cars – Mercedes, Porsches, BMWs, etc – abandoned with their keys still in the ignition. In some cases, notes of apology are taped to the windscreens.

The owners of these vehicles are mainly British expatriates, who have left in a hurry because they faced "crippling debts" as a result of Dubai's financial meltdown and their own profligate behaviour. Many of them, says Hollingsworth, have defaulted on loans; rather than risk arrest and jail, they drove at top speed to the airport where they jumped on the first flight to London.

And if you're looking for bargains, word has it that prices on used luxury cars dropped 40% from January to March.

The London Times calls the failure of Dubai's economy "the modern equivalent of the last days of Rome." Nothing gives evidence to the grandeur that was once the hub of the oil economy like the tens of thousands of abandoned cars parked around the city.

...the pain in this new and gaudy metropolis is palpable. Ross, who asked not to be identified, is one of countless expatriates who have been caught out by the collapse in Dubai’s once-booming property market.

Like many he bought a flat off-plan in what was a red-hot property market. Today he is trapped, his passport confiscated until he repays bank loans he used to invest in a property that may never exist. If his work dries up before he can clear his debts he will go to jail...

Those expats lucky enough to escape the country -- and debtors prison -- abandoned some of the finest automobiles ever manufactured.

Nearly half of newly built office space has not been rented and the amount of available space is estimated to double in the next year.

A $7.6 billion metro train opened in September; the Times reports that a recent 9:30am weekday run carried 21 people, though its capacity is 640.

But worry not, all of these debts are mere pittances compared to the roughly $3.5 trillion deficit that the Obama Democrats are running up in their first two years in office.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
What's the joy riding penalty in Dubai? Is it stealing if the keys are in the ignition?
I fancy a luxury car driving holiday.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Weird indeed, but as you said, Dubia is a weird place.

I like the fact that the line "some of the finest automobiles ever manufactured"

Was followed by a picture of possibly one of the worst cars ever manufactured :D

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Believe it or not
This i was told a while ago belonged to a good friend of mine

He had to leave Dubai swiftly after the company he was working for went bust..
A very strange place indeed ;)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Living in the Middle East, Doha, State of Qatar (you know 2022 winners), just up the coast from Dubai, I'm just wondering what's so weird and strange about Dubai as these comments keep being made??

Are people making informed comments or just in my honest un-informed descision type comments?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Am working between Dubai and Doha at the mo and have heard of the 'big sell off' regarding all these motors. Dont half fancy that F40 gathering dust, bloomin; criminal I:

Also; nothing that weird about the place really, admittedly it is Disney Land on speed but hey these boys have got some serious dough, have a vision and then spend it to see it come alive.A:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.