VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to share some interior LWB conversion stories and pictures.

Looking to do one that will enable a bikes to be stored overnight inside or even tranported safely, as well as sleeping space, eating space (this will be in the roof) and cooking space. Though it's likely the bikes would be in the awning during eating unless these is a magical way of generating space

So looking for layout ideas, to leave some storage space at night time.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the absence of a tardis how best to make use of the space :)

Even if I have to carry the bikes in a bike bag which is my plan b

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm looking for similar options but I also have to have space for a passenger in a wheel chair.
We have gone for a R n R at the back leaves space for the bike in front. We haven't got any units yet. Probably looking for some city van style narrow option behind the slider on the drivers side. I've still got one seat in the front row for daily travel but can take it out or turn it round as needed. We managed all 4 of us, a bike in a bag, wheel chair etc. to go away (last trip was in the trailer tent but we also have an awning)
I almost whet for the Amdro Angel idea of a bike space across the tailgate to keep the rest clean, but I don't often get to mix family trips with biking so I can work around the bike if needed. I managed in a Scudo before with the bike or 2 on the front seats over night so this is luxury.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flatpack - the amdro conversion looks a good idea, and with a LWB that back space would house two bikes easy with the front wheels off. That's an excellent suggestion thanks for that.

In my search I did find a unwin http://www.unwin-safety.com/ whom do rails and restraints which could hold a wheelchair in place from how it looks not sure if that helps you in return.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you get a bed on rails you could tailor the space to the load but the RIB seat is 2500 and the reimo 333 is about 3500,
Variotech seats also slide but not so good for storage.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would work am thinking that by just taking the front wheel off I can store in the rear like the Amdro idea, be nice to get two bikes there.

It seems the bed/chair is fixed in the same location LWB or SWB so you don't gain space at the back where I'd like it, it the bed was on rails though that could be a nice solution. Depends how far forwards it would go and what the depth is behind it for storage.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a SWB with variotech seating which is ideal for sliding forward and carrying bikes in the back - it takes 2 seconds to move

Problem is I'm just upgrading to a LWB and the thought of spending £3-4,000 on a new bed is quite painful.

It would be great to find a cheaper alternative. Apparently the Cannon Forges beds can be put on unwin rails but I don't know how practical it would be to move it back and forwards, I'd imagine it's quite heavy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NickBab any pictures of the space available with the variotech slid forwards? I am assmiung that you are selling your current van kitted out so can't take the seating with you?

Will the LWB be a new project, anything your'd do differently this time around?

·
Registered
181 Posts
here's a picture of my lwb half way through the build..
[/IMG]
the centre bed section is removable so I have an empty van if I want, we use a motordome awning when parked up so the space under the bed is usually clear, you could easily fit a couple of pushbikes under....
[/IMG]
Here she is ready to roll, everything we need, awning, fridge, food, clothes, toilet, chairs etc. is stored under the bed, the system works quite well for us....
chris...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll try to take some pictures over the weekend.

My current van has a Reimo Lucky Deluxe conversion by CMC Hythe and it depends how much I can get for it when selling. If I can't get a sensible price I might think of swapping some of the inside over, although I'm advised this will be easier said than done.

The seat rails are bonded to the van so almost impossible to remove. A new floor with rails alone is approx £900.

I think the Reimo Lucky conversion is perfect and very flexible allowing us to use the van as a large estate car when needed. I just needed a van with a bigger engine as we've recently inherited a very large caravan which I'll need to tow occasionally. My 1.9D would struggled.

Another good tip - I use the Thule 592 clamped to the Reimo rails to hold the bikes in place whilst travelling. Saves them banging against the cupboards etc.

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product_detail.php?partno=592000

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks all, Pictures are great help for ideas, I have a solution forming in my mind, which is basically a Reimo 333 seat/bed on a rail system, coupled with Thule 592 on the back end of the rail, move seat forwards for storage duties and then the other way would be very flexible solution and means I can get a standard internal build and much less custom work, than some of my other thoughts. This would be coupled with captains chairs.

Nick - did you take just the fork fixing element from the 592 and discard the rail supplied and use the U section around the Reimo rail. Does that mean fully forwards there is about 1.5 meters behind for storage and what stops the rear wheels moving about? Just need to make sure the 592 suits QR and/or 20mm bolt through forks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi again

I use the rail from the 592 and just replace the fixings with a 'T piece' which slots into the Reimo rail. I use the T piece which is suppiled with Thule Aero roof bars which seems to work well. Again, I'll take some pictures at the weekend.

I've used my setup with a mountain, tri and road bike and all seem to fit well with the rear tyre just touching the back of the 'standard' Variotech seat. I'm not sure what this would be like with a 333 but remember I have a SWB so this shouldn't be a problem with a LWB. I don't bother lashing down the rear wheel and have never had a problem.

I just have standard QR on all bikes and all slot straight into the 592

I hope this helps

It sounds like we will have similar conversions once I start on my LWB

Regards
Nick (not Neal) I:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Nick,

Sorry about the name not sure why did and thanks for all the details.

Yes I think they will be similar. Once I have the van and got it sorted I'll post up some pictures, I have found a 20mm adaptor from Yiama so will use that for the bolt through bikes so that's sorted too.

Again thanks for the tips and ideas has helped.

I'll be joining up as a registered member this weekend too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here you go. This is with the variotech seat locked in it's most forward position - as you can see there's still leg room for passengers:

And a picture from the back showing room for a bike with the front wheel off:

And he you can see the Thule 592 slotted into the rails, it's really quick to slot the forks into here:

And a final picture:

I hope this helps, good luck with the conversion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is spot on thanks for taking the time to post that up Nick. Just need to find a van now.

Do you now what the distance is between the seat fully forwards and the thule bar?

Oh and now I am paid up I've corrected you name in the post :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts