VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a LWB but I live and visit family in places where there is only usually street parking. Is parking these sort of vans as much of a pain in the as I imagine and should I consider a SWB instead?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Those that love them say not.

Manoeuvring ought not to be the issue but finding long spaces might be.

They will either stick out of car park spaces or take up two. I don't know how the car park sharks take that if you are not parked within a marked out bay. I had all the carp from Sainsbury's Sharks when we parked our works van across a bay line- mind you they gave up after a year :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
We recently got a lwb T5 and the length is a bit of am issue in smaller car parks.

One thing we have done is fit sensors front and rear and set to the closest proximity they allow, that way we can nose right up to walls etc and maximise the space.

As above, the manouvering itself doesn't seem to make much difference unless things are really tight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a LWB T5 and live in a street with on street parking. There is never much space to park and finding a long enough space is sometimes a problem, usually it's when I have a van full of supermarket shopping and the only big enough space is 150 yards away. I have fitted a set of wireless reversing sensors that have helped but the bigger problem is not having enough road width to swing the front end out when reversing because of vehicles parked on the other side of the road . Having said that, I bought a LWB because I wanted more living space inside and it's worth the downside for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You soon get used to it, like maneuvering any new car. There wouldn't be much of a difference between finding a street space for a swb or a lwb I wouldn't have thought. You're still going to need a big space! As for supermarkets etc, aim for ones around the edge, and hang the back end over a kerb. Also, head for the quiet corner, it might mean an extra 20 seconds walk to the door, but there's normally a space somewhere. I've had 9 years with vehicles this size, and I've never had to leave somewhere because I couldn't get parked!.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had my LWB for 4 months now and never had a problem parking including in city centres. You start to identify and know where the right spaces are, end ones for example. Sensors do help when it's a squeeze. Look out for the car that parks and inch from your tailgate or rear doors, very frustrating when you've just done the 'Friday big shop'!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a LWB as long as you park tight, and I have a reversing camera. Let's face it parkings a bloody nightmare every where now adays. Lol

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
Been driving mine just on 9 years and always had lwb vans so you may have to use the streering wheel a few more times to get in a space but as long as the four wheels are in the lines then you won't get a ticket :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've owned swb and lwb at the same time. No surprise the swbis easier and has a good turning circle. Lwb takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am new to LWB having had T4 SWB before. Still getting used to it but it isn't that bad. I have front and rear cameras on mine to assist with guidance rather than guessing.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a LWB with a medium roof....I need to think big when parking. Previous was a LWB also, you get used to it

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
LWB is 30 CM longer?
The only issue I ever had was Multistories
Not the length but the turning circle on the exits where the kerbs were
Kerbed a few alloys

·
Registered
691 Posts
Swiss is right ,going from SWB to LWB
Biggest problem is getting round tight exits at carparks etc
You learn to take more care , parking never was much of a problem

·
Registered
471 Posts
no problem parking my t5 lwb, i use those extra wide extra long parking spaces you see everywhere, the ones painted blue! by the way i do have the get out of jail free card needed to access these! funny thing it didnt work the other day, i went to a convention for disabled people and there was only 5 blue spaces and 500 guests!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive had my LWB for nearly a year. I live in built up London and its fine, as people say you just learn what to look out for and where. Carparks not a problem at all. The extra swing round corners was fun at first but again you just internalise the manoeuvring needed and dont notice it after a while. In fact, I was whizzing around town today thinking how great and nippy it was. Mind you, I havnt driven my Mk1 golf all winter so have obviously forgotten what nippy whizzing is ;)

TLDR - Lwb is awesome, buy one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi I agree with the reversing camera makes life a lot easier great when backing in to bushes as you can see all the spiders making a run for it T: mine is located just under the tow ball

Ken

·
Registered
382 Posts
Like someone else has pointed out, the prats that park within inches of the back bumper are a real frustration. I have to park on the street sometimes and it`s the norm to come out the house to find it impossible to open the back doors. I have thought of putting some sort of notice on similar to the wheelchair access sticker on specially converted vehicles but I very much doubt the offenders would take any notice. I remember one morning I went to open the up and over garage door ( from the inside ) only to hear it clang into the side of a car parked across the garage. Unbelieveably there was only this one car parked in the back street, it could of parked anywhere, but no, chose to park across a garage door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts