VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van failed it's M.O.T for having l.e.d. side lights, my M.O.T tester said they are blue and should be white . Well they look white to me and it passed last year with them on, is he just taking the p*** or have the rules changed??

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Its all getting stupid in MOT land...number plates must have BS number etc etc..

What did the guy say when you told him he passed them last year with the same bulbs?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its all getting stupid in MOT land...number plates must have BS number etc etc..

What did the guy say when you told him he passed them last year with the same bulbs?
I didn't think of it at the time, but I'm going back in the morning for a quick word . and I don't have any bs numbers on my number plates .

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Oh Dear,

Mine has just passed it's MOT with:

LED Sidelights & Desperate Dan on't numberplates instead of BS Number I:

Bit Subjective this MOT Methinks :confused:

Did pass last year too with same tho ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
when i asked my tester about putting them on he looked it up in the book and as long as they are white and i think it was 70% or something like that work its fine. isnt the number plate stuff for 2001 on when the new style came in.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Desperate dan is right, to a degree - the MoT can be subjective, although there is a rule book for testers to follow...

The question is, how blue are your white LED sidelights?

If they merely have a blueish tint like Xenon headlamps do - then no problem, as far as I'm concerned - any bluer then I'd start having doubts...

By the way the call for number plates to have BS numbers has been dropped, because countless no plates made after September 2001 haven't got them on (even though they were required to do so) but the character spacing and font rules still apply...

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Had mine tested a month or so ago, all the tester said was how nice & bright my sidelights were. Told him they were led's, he was fine about it!

Doesn't seem right that there is so much variation in what differnet testers allow.

·
Registered
813 Posts
mine failed with leds aswell last year
only changed them because bulbs dont last 5 minutes
leds managed nearly a year..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well went back to the M.O.T station , but he was adamant that they were to blue so chucked a old set of normal bulbs and walked out with a M.O.T certificate , came home and put the led bulbs back on I: I had forgotten how much of of a fiddle the drivers side is .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts