VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not sure what your project is but if you are restricted 8 mm then 5/16 in old english speaking is close to 8 mm in dia
5/16 UNC is probably the closest you will get the pitch is .055 of an inch, 1.5 mm is .059 fairly close but will not screw together !!!
Can't say I have ever seen 8 x 1.5 before
Regards
Paxo T:

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
The 'usual name' for threaded bar is studding. It sounds to me as if you will have to change the female section for a more 'normal' threadform to match the threads. Is this possible? Cheers and good luck on your project. Tony.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
On the skateboard racing trucks I have made my machinists make 8mm axles out of hex bar, then machine the threads. I thought they would use a die, but no, they machine them. Also the do a L/H thread on one side so the tendency on rotation is to tighten. I get the 8mm LH nuts from Stig fastennings.

Have you seen if a machinist can lathe suitable stock?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Give Kebrells a call 024 7655 2253, they're on Harper Road, off Gulson Road at the Humber Road end. The guys there are dead helpful, got loads of odd sized stuff and will sell small quantities. I use them a lot and they've always had what I wanted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts