VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi any mac users on here ever since the first iphone came out ive had a iphone,

since then ive always thought about changing over from a windows laptop to a macbook

main reason was the fact that apple are so good at product design. all there products just look real cool.

there desktops look fab and their macbook air wafer thin.

then there is apples customer service which from owning a iphone i know is spot on

i know for a fact the nearest pcworld currys dixons etc wouldnt get near the support offered in store from apple and there genius bar.

how many people run a mac and what do they like over a windows based pc.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Not got a Mac but work in IT so can only offer my opinion.

The Macs do cost loads more due to their design and software, depnding on what you want from you computer depends on which you get. The Macs are famous for been really good at Photography and also Photoshop stuff. They do though use a different operating system so will take a little time to get used to.

If you have others that will use it, they may get fustrated that there is no rigt click etc.

Best place to fiddle with one is normally John Lewis.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mate there's not really a choice....a Mac everyday. It aint just about the design (which pcs are on average 5 years behind in all aspects), think about lack of viruses, quality and compatibility with other devices.

Everytime I use a pc it annoys me that it's so complicated, drop box after drop box of dull grey pedestrian drivel. Basically pcs were designed to crunch numbers and data and Macs were designed for human use.

You know what they say..."Once you've had Mac...you won't look back."

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I bought a mac last year, after umpteen years of pc use, wouldn't go back to a pc for all the money in the world and using my mums lap top this week has just confirmed that.

Yeah there are a few differences but nothing you can't get your head round and everything works as you would expect it tooI:

couldn't recomend it highly enoughT:

If you have others that will use it, they may get fustrated that there is no rigt click etc.
I have right and left click on my macRasp:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Macs are for toffs, where the work horse PC does all the work of the rest of society.

Worth noting that they haven't actually ported the latest photoshop to the PC, that is the 64 bit edition of CS4, gone are the days of the mac dominance. Essentially they are the same; just a PC for people with more money than sense.

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
am i right to think the mac just works turns on instantly no long vista loading times

and no silly slowing down the longer the time you own it

as my laptop needs restoring every so often to get it running smooth again?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
am i right to think the mac just works turns on instantly no long vista loading times

and no silly slowing down the longer the time you own it

as my laptop needs restoring every so often to get it running smooth again?
depends i've owned my imac for the last 18months, its basically on all the time and just tap space bar to wake it, i only shut it down when i'm away for more than 2 days, there is a bit of load up time but not half as bad as any pc i've ever owned.
In that 18 months i have noticed any slow downT:

its all rosy in this toffs house with more money than senseLOL::D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Or Linux..

If your just using it for Net and emails why pay more? Linux is Free! Less demanding then XP/Vista/7. Virus free. Ubuntu 9 is the was forward. No messing with command lines or gubbins like that.
Aero screens? Compiz does it better
Office ? Open office 3
Photos ? Gimp

Apple is more polished granted but then for ££££££££££££££££££££ it shud be. Apple tech does lag behind PC tech but is always the better looking.

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
My PC stays on 24/7 until it requests restart updates. They only get slower the more rubbish you put on them from shall we say 'fun' websites. I: that and all the so called bloatware you get with every piece of software or hardware.

Top tip disable your startup items. you rarely need any of them, check them one by one make sure you are not wasting vital resources on loading all the software for that old camera you plug in once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Used macs and PCs for the last 15 years for design.

If you have the budget buy a Mac.

Only buy a PC if you need to run specific software (a lot of 3D and engineering programs).

You can right click on a mac now too.

Just the shear level of research, design and development that goes into Apple products means the user experience is so much more involving.

Had my latest Mac 9 months and it hasn't crashed once.

If you already have an iphone I guess you're enjoying interacting with that. Now imagine that on a bigger scale and ask why would yo go back to having a big lumpy box full of higgledy piggeldy components thrown together by a bunch of different people with an operating system that strggles to work automatically with it's hardware.

THe only frustrations you might have are the differences between pc and mac but once you switch over....

just from reading this thread you can see:

the PC owners are very militant about PCs and anti mac (fear of something new perhaps? something they don't understand? fear of something everyone understands so they loose their standing / importance of being experts?)

the mac owners just like their computers

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Macs are less likely to go wrong because they have less virus written for them, on the same hand they also have less programmes and less games written for them, the reason for this is because they are not the market leader, the reason for this is because they are too expensive.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
sometimes the most popular isn't the bestRasp: take internet explorer for example a overbloated programme full of **** but its still the most popular browser:eek: where as anybody with anysense will use a different browser for a better experience

now transfer that to the pc mac debate a pc an overbloated operating system full of **** a mac an allround better experienceRasp:LOL:

·
Registered
55 Posts
T:Get a Mac Get a Mac Get a MacT:

The Mac versus PC debate will never be settledRasp:

PC's are the ramshackle computers of the people, you can build your own for gawds sake,PC's are notoriously un-reliable, and who would really want to have one when the users of such ****e, create their own "WORLD" of PC where you can buy all manner of **** to keep you glued to your seat crouched over a table taking it from behind while making sure the accounts and turnover are processed...mmmm....no way:eek:

It's a bit like the 'Coke' versus 'Pepsi' debate except you can change your PC for Rola Cola, know what i meanI:
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mac user since using a classic in 86/87.... Window based OS when PCs where still DOS I:
Nothing to think about really (they are pretty much the same inside now) Macs rule... T:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Macs are for men (and women) PC's are for stick in the mud pre war flat cap types. H:
My business runs on macs got 2 dunno what id do without them

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you already have an iphone I guess you're enjoying interacting with that. Now imagine that on a bigger scale and ask why would yo go back to having a big lumpy box full of higgledy piggeldy components thrown together by a bunch of different people with an operating system that strggles to work automatically with it's hardware.

just from reading this thread you can see:

the PC owners are very militant about PCs and anti mac (fear of something new perhaps? something they don't understand? fear of something everyone understands so they loose their standing / importance of being experts?)

the mac owners just like their computers
Some great points weazlepopper, it's a theory I've thought about before...the fear that the militant pc folk have, they take it very personally don't they? We have the I.T boys (they're always male by the way) at work cos we have a spattering of pcs and my god they're a breed apart! I love seeing their little faces screw up into an intense angry red ball when we call them up to come visit the Mac suite...hilarious.

One day the world will be Mac based then we can all be one big uncomplicated, uncluttered happy smiling virus free family...ahhhhh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts