VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a MAF sensor is faulty is it enough to just replace the sensor and leave the housing?

Should I remove the housing and clean it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I think you'll be replacing the whole unit, mate :* unbolt the old one, bolt in the new, job done. Make sure it's a Bosch T:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me Emmett. Due to financial issues I'm stuck with either a bosch sensor or replacing the whole unit with a cheaper one (MAPCO). Why is it necessary to change the housing? What it's function?

I was originally just going to clean the whole unit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2Y44Np8VM but seems a waste of time from reading through the forum. I'll probably give it a go anyway though. I:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me Emmett. Due to financial issues I'm stuck with either a bosch sensor or replacing the whole unit with a cheaper one (MAPCO). Why is it necessary to change the housing? What it's function?

I was originally just going to clean the whole unit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2Y44Np8VM but seems a waste of time from reading through the forum. I'll probably give it a go anyway though. I:
get a genuine one, you will only kick yourself.... it will save pounds in long run .......trust meT:

·
Registered
604 Posts
How much would it cost for a genuine replacement MAF Sensor complete with housing please?.

My friend is looking at replacing his MAF sensor.

Are there any special offers available and if so please could someone post a link.

Thank You

·
Registered
131 Posts
How much would it cost for a genuine replacement MAF Sensor complete with housing please?.

My friend is looking at replacing his MAF sensor.

Are there any special offers available and if so please could someone post a link.

Thank You
phone you local vw dealer..T:.
they seem to be the most competitive.... down here anyway...
least you know your getting the real deal not fleebay mass chinese stock from whoknowswhere

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the local motor factors here I was quoted 98 euro for the replacement sensor (Bosch). The full unit is about 220 euro. Still cant figure out what the housing does :confused:. As far as I can gather its simply a pipe with a grill at either end to maintain a steady air stream.

Watch out online for very cheap sensors. Alot of them are refurbished(cleaned) Bosch ones or dodgy chinese parts. I'd steer well clear.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not able to provide a detailed technical response - my van showed a MAF fault and ran like a dog. Swapped it out for a new unit (£80 for a Bosch) and runs much better. Money well spent IMO

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Not all T4s have Bosch MAF sensors - mine has a Pierburg (fitted from new) Rasp:

Oh...and it works fine after 14 years T:
Experience on here seems to suggest that replacement MAFs fall in to 2 camps - Bosch & ones that don't work as well LOL: I'm happy for you and your Pierburg :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not all T4s have Bosch MAF sensors - mine has a Pierburg (fitted from new) Rasp:

Oh...and it works fine after 14 years T:
I thought the pierburgs were for the older model T4's - pre '96 or so.

I'll let you's know how I get on. VAGCOM is booked for the weekend. Have the new van nearly two weeks now and my head is melted with it. 90% sure its the MAF but you never know.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I thought the pierburgs were for the older model T4's - pre '96 or so.
Looks like they are later too - mine's a '98 facelift model.

Also worth considering the "cage" mod (dielectric grease in the connector). Did this on mine before considering replacing MAF and it picks up better and runs real smooth... Old MAF retained, ££ saved T:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
As I found out, if the MAF is on the way out, cleaning it won't help & may make the problem worse. If you replace Bosch with Bosch you'll get an exchange unit for your old one which will get you about £25 knocked off the bill.

After some phoning around I got mine from GSF as they seem to be doing them at the best price at the moment.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
BTW: I got a set of 5 point anti tamper keys from a local autoparts shop.

I was surprised he had them.

So was he!!:eek:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW: I got a set of 5 point anti tamper keys from a local autoparts shop.

I was surprised he had them.

So was he!!:eek:
So am I!

I was just pondering that issue. Cheers I'll go down for a look. Thought you'd only get them on the balckmarket. :D

Was thinking some where along the lines of a hacksaw to cut a notch for a flathead. I: ... or drilling out the little pin in the middle coz I have a 5 point that fits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts